• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how often do you rotate your tires and how

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
ive always been taught to go opposite sides like front driver side to rear passenger side but tire shops usually do driver side front to driver side rear, which way is better?

how often do you rotate them, i know the norm is 3-5000 miles but off road tires wear faster and not always perfect, i was thinking this time around to rotate them every 1000 and see how it does, what do you guys think? i also felt if i was out of alignment i wont know cuz i rotate too often so im looking for input.

I bought all my tires from Sams club, THEY rotate and balance them every 3,000 or so and do front to rear, no side to side and I don't use my spares either, that's on all 4 jeeps.

Once upon a time we were warned never to cross rotate radial tires, because the plies would take a set and cause failures, and many shops still follow that rule.

However, it seems that the current wisdom says you should cross them. Here's a link from The Tire Rack, whose interests are best served by a minimum of warrantee returns and catastrophic failures of tires....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=43&

Bias ply tires should only be moved from front to rear, same side, and back again. Period.

Radial tires should be moved side to side and front to back (or back to front). If you have a full-size normal spare you can include it in the rotation.

Temporary spares, doughnut or full size, should only be used as intended.

I personally just rotate them clockwise incorporating my spare w/ every oil change and rotating one tire out...seems to have worked for the past 15 so far!

The owners manual shows a diagram of rotating the tires, and they switch sides.

well the owners manual knows best =) i just bought some 33x10.50 bfg a/t's about a 1000 miles ago and i just want them to last a little while. im already running them at 25psi on my 7" wide wheels cuz they look like their over inflated...

Rotate every 2500 miles,

Spare to left rear
Left rear to left front
left front to right rear
Right rear to right front
Right front to spare.

I rotate every 2500 miles and I go by the newer Jeep manuals (My JK and XK manuals both show the same thing). I go pass front-driver rear, driver rear-driver front, driver front-pass rear, pass rear to pass front. I don't rotate in the spare on the XJ's or XK but i could on the JK since the spare is the same tire/wheel, I just don't.

I don't know how prevalent directional off-road tires are, but if the tires have directional tread, cross-rotation is NOT a good idea.

Something I picked up with my DD, since it's got directional-tread touring tires (which I rotate every 5K, give or take a little).

Used to do the same with the XJ, but these days I don't put that many miles on it (so it only gets rotations occasionally if at all), I do a 4-tire on that to keep the spare from getting gunked up and greasing everything in the cargo area.

Hmmm.
Maybe I should change my method. I usually don't swap sides. I go 3k.

Should I do the cross thing for my mt/'rs?

I was going to rotate them this weekend.

I work at a tire shop and most the time just do front to rear that way no one messes up directional tires.

On my own rig I take both fronts and put to rear, swap sides. Then just put the rears forward.

I do a 5 tire rotation every 3000 miles.

Backs straight forward to the front.
Fronts criss-cross to the rear.
Then, replace the right rear with the spare.

I do a 4 tire rotation every 3000 miles.

Backs straight forward to the front.
Fronts criss-cross to the rear.

I do this every 2500 miles. Its easy for me since I work at discount tire.

Back