• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much spline should I see?

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
I've posted a similar thread already but really couldn't fully articulate my question before so here goes:

I've swapped an 8.25 in to my 96XJ. The rig originally had a Dana 35 in it.
I have used the original Dana 35's driveshaft, which as I understand it is slightly longer that the 8.25's since the 8.25's Housing is an inch longer.
I am lifted 3" however so I'm hoping between the 2 components the DS is not too long.

Because of the notorious "clunk" on stop and start, I was going to grease the slip yoke splines and noticed I can only see about 1/4" of splines beyond the driveshaft, so I wonder:

On trail when the rear flexes occasionally I hear a clunk.
Since my DS is longer than an 8.25 equipped XJ's driveshaft I worry I'm "bottoming out on the TC" as I've read many others warning about. Could just be something else I hope though. It's not loud.

Does the DS bottom out when it hits the end of the output splines??

OR
does the DS slide over and past the splines and only bottom out when it (the DS) hits the TC itself.
I see about +/- 1/4" of splines at rest.

At what point does the Driveshaft actually "bottom out on the transfer case" and cause damage???

If it slips past and over the unsplined part of the output I'm golden..... but if it stops at the splines I may need a shorter (8.25 stock) shaft.

Last edited:
I suppose I could also ask in another way:

How long is the splined section of a new style 231's output shaft,
and how deep is the hole on the driveshaft??

Obviously the first part of the question is the critical measurement.
Anyone?

Seeing as how the DS yoke does not enter the case on a 96,why not just un-bolt from the rear and see how much movement you have before things hit?You can then grease the splines too,

Back