• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much cash do I need?

awesome pics. Those gave me some great ideas. Thanks.

haha just for kicks, I went lookin and found this...I know nothing about cages, but it uses bolts over welds.

Not sure I'd try to "go fast" in the desert with this one!

http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/xj-96.html

Don't underestimate the strength of that cage!
Very well designed and well thought out. I wouldn't hesitate
to rely on that for some go fast stuff.
If I recall right, the military used that system in thier Cherokees.

Hicks, .120 wall is standard. .188 has been used for those bars that you just know are going to take a beating.

I looked at that cage a while back when I was considering a fully internal cage, but I realized that my style of 4wheelin really calls for an exo cage. I know that it is simply a matter of "when" and not "if" in regards to rolling my rig. There has just been too many times that I have been teetering on 2 wheels. One of these days I am going to put my rig on its side or even roof and I would love to have the confidence that I will simply roll onto some external bars and not end up crushing my doors, roof, hood and all the glass. At this moment a roll over would severly damage my rig. The cost of repairs to get it looking good again would probably surpass the cost of just putting a cage on. With a cage I know that it is a one time cost. With a roll over repair, there is no guarantee it wont happen again the next time I take it out.

It looks like a got some decisions made. I will be going with 1.5" DOM .120" wall. I found a steel place in San Bernardino that sales 24ft pieces for just under $75 a piece. I will need 6 pieces to do the cage. (I hope!) It should cost me about $450. They will also cut them in half for me so I can get the 12' pieces in my vehicle. As soon as I get my funds together I will go down and pick up the material. Now all I need to do I refine my welding skills and pipe bender skills. Once I start the project I will start a new thread with plenty of pics. I have a feeling I am about to get in over my head and will probably have a lot of questions at the beginning of the thread.

Last edited:
that cage rocks!! i swear if i ever save a 1000 dollars that cage is mine =) drilling a few holes dont bother me nearly as much as cutting 1.5" hole to fit a tube =)

You and me both! that thing looks awesome! maybe next years tax return will help buy one. :cool:

It looks like a got some decisions made. I will be going with 1.5" DOM .120" wall. I found a steel place in San Bernardino that sales 24ft pieces for just under $75 a piece. I will need 6 pieces to do the cage. (I hope!) It should cost me about $450. They will also cut them in half for me so I can get the 12' pieces in my vehicle. As soon as I get my funds together I will go down and pick up the material. Now all I need to do I refine my welding skills and pipe bender skills. Once I start the project I will start a new thread with plenty of pics. I have a feeling I am about to get in over my head and will probably have a lot of questions at the beginning of the thread.

Good Luck! Once you get done with yours and are nice and proficient I will bring over mine! :cheers:

Back