• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How low can I really go? 15x10 wheels

Breezio69

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys and gals, first time post, long time reader (loooong time) so here is a little background on what ive been up to recently for my XJ.

I have recently purchased a set of new to me/used 15x10 steelies to replace my rubbing stockers with 33x10.50 KM2's. I have read ALOT of information on the pros and cons of the 15x10 and know where my plans of my rig are heading (in the process of an axle swap from D35 to 99' 8.25 w ZJ discs, shaved pumpkin, raised shock mounts, and locked)

My plan is by the end of winter to be able to hit the trails in Moab with my family and their TJ thats 100% built.

As of right now my KM2's have 5000 miles on them with a 5th thats never seen pavement, so I would really like to not sell them or have to buy a second set of tires to run these wheels. I plan on installing rock rings in the steelies to protect the lip of the wheels but i'm worried about airing down too low and blowing a bead. I run 35 psi in my tires on the street and was wondering how low I could safely go on the trails?

All of the threads ive reaserched say you can't air down as low as an 8" rim but they never specify how low... Say 12 psi on a 15x8 and 20 psi on a 15x10?

Thank you all for your help

It depends on way too many variable to list a specific pressure. If I were you, I'd either get some aftermarket 7" wheels with the proper offset (but I'm guessing you got a smokin' deal on the 15x10s) OR air them down until you get the proper squat and run them. If you blow beads at your ideal pressure for the conditions then save your sheckles for a set of 15x7s or 15x8s or weld-on beadlocks.

My guess is that your ideal pressure is at around 10psi +/-. You can get away with more at Moab. Maybe even 15-18 because of the sandpaper surface.

But, seriously, airing down is all about the proper contact patch. If you can't get the right one with your new set up. . .then ditch it.

I feel I got a great deal on them, $100 for all 4 and not one has a ding on the lip... the guy was running 39x15.5 swampers so i assume thats why they were still in good shape...

I also looked into weld on bead locks BUT I found out they add about an inch to the current width, so then id be worrying about the inside bead popping.

I looked at a lot of pictures of guys running 31x10.50 on 15x10" wheels that they use on budget boosted yj/tj's and they didnt look terrible or seem like the tire was overly bulged out

10" wide wheels on 10" wide tires can be problematic.. I suggest going narrower wheel, or 12.50 wide tires..

10" wide wheels on 10" wide tires can be problematic.. I suggest going narrower wheel, or 12.50 wide tires..

I have read many claims that say it CAN be problematic as you say... But nobody has first hand experience and has come forward and said "I have the same combo and run at 15 psi on trails no problems"

every answer says:

1- you cant air down as low ( i probably dont need to go less than 18-20 psi)

2- you might have problems with blowing beads airing down too low (as my first question stated, how low is that?)

or they state the rims will get beat up (rock rings are going to be installed for sure)

Then on the other hand ive read at least 20 threads through google of people running 31x10.50 on a 10 inch rim with no complications while off roading... you think that would be worse than a 33?

I run 33x12.5" on a 10" wide rim and usually air down to 10-12psi but have gone as low as 8psi without issue. I have pushed a bead off at 6psi. I think you would be fine in the 12-16psi range.

I run 35x12.50x15s on a 8" wide rim at 10psi and still blow beads. I seriously need beadlocks...

Seems to me that by the time you bought the 10" wheels then bought rock rings you could have bought a brand new set of 15x8 steel wheels. Or at least close to it.

I wouldn't run a 10" tire on a 10" rim on the street. a 12.5" tire works perfectly on an 8" rim (swampers, sub 8psi, never lost a bead).

Sell the wheels, I would run 15x7's for those tires.

Well there ya go. A first hand example that the tire makes a difference also. I run BFG KM1s and he runs a thicker walled Swamper. I lose beads at 10 psi and he doesn't have a problem at 8psi on the same tire and wheel sizes. Thats why no one can give you a "How low can I go" tire pressure.

33x12.50 is recommended on a 10" rim though, up to 11" which ive never seen...

As per BFGoodrich my tires size is recommended to have a 7-9" rim... im going to stretch it and try it out. Worst case scenario is I blow a bead and end up getting 35's after swapping my Dana 35 out.

Maybe im getting too technical here but could 35x12.50s at low pressure on 8 inch wheels be rolling off beads because the tire height matched with narrow width wheels "smashes" (for lack of a better word) the tread to a particular side? therefore pulling itself off the bead as it rolls?

did that make sense? i can picture it in my head what im thinking but its hard to put to words...

also, you would think a wider wheel would prevent what im thinking?

lol It was extreme. I can exaggerate from time to time. but still, it's something to consider.

My guess would be that it'll be more prone to wander all over the road since there will be less tension on the sidewalls. But thats just the way it seems.

OK, well all considerations aside, I'm going to at least give it a shot. For the deal I got these for at $25 a wheel plus another $30 per wheel for rings I can at least try it and if it doesn't work out I may be able to get my money back out of them down the road

So you've got 225 invested in these wheels. Hindsight is 20/20 but you could have had a set of the correct wheels for 250. Either way. I hope it works out for ya. Let us know how it goes.

One other thing is I may go to 35's after my rear axle swap and my Dana 30 is already setup with the larger u joint shafts... so if I'm already thinking of going larger in reality I probably will, so ill already have the rock ringed wheels to set them up on

But I will give a ride report and air down report when I get them on, I've got a place less than an hour from me with lots of slick rock and ill try different pressures till I feel they are going to give

i think thats a little bit extreme... besides, ill have 35 psi in them on the road
offroad, your going to be fine i would think. but if it were me, id go with an 8" rim for the longevity of my tires. you might find some odd wear characteristics as a 10.50 wide tire will stretch a little to fit on a 10" rim.

Or blow a bead riding down the road at 60 mph, roll your Jeep 5 times, get ejected thru the window and land impaled on a fence post.
sounds plausible.

The internal locks are plausible as opposed to buying new 35's. But I've got a bit on my plate right now with my axle swap, and a few other side projects on it

Back