• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I camp?

I sleep inside the Jeep. This doesnt work so well for people that are tall.
Setting up camp consists of: Throw cooler and spare on the ground,Hang hammock on the rollcage, and unroll bag.

Very comfortable and very warm.

3 or 4 season tent .. the smaller the better, with a tarp or ground sheet under it .. a good mummy bag and sleep naked no sweating allowed , if you need some extra heat .. heat some rocks in the fire and wrap em in a towel put in your sleeping bag and you will be warm all night.. . i do not like any type of air matress, air under you will get cold.. pile snow around the bottom of your tent for insulation and to keep out some of the drafts.. and if you wanna cheat a little bit ,, a bale of hay under the tent works real good but its kinda hard to fit in your back pack.. .. ive camped in 30* below temps too many times. and if your prepared you can be quite comfortable.. with a good tent and no heater you can wake up quite comfortable on body heat alone..

I think it has been sporadically mentioned, but sleep in your base layer at most, shorts only in a mummy bag is best. And it is also smart to put your clothes for the next day in the foot. That way on cold mornings you are comfy when you get out of the bag.

I think it has been sporadically mentioned, but sleep in your base layer at most, shorts only in a mummy bag is best. And it is also smart to put your clothes for the next day in the foot. That way on cold mornings you are comfy when you get out of the bag.

THIS.. and when you wake up, if you are going to be staying another night, put your pillow INSIDE the sleeping bag.. an ice cold pillow does not warm up easily :thumbup:

Socks. Lots of socks. Seriously. Keep a couple spare pair in a dry place. In cold and/or wet environment, if your feet get cold, you are cold. Change into dry socks every 2-3 hours if you can.

General tip: Throw a roll of toilet paper under your back seat.

As far as starting fires, don't use gas except as a last resort. Most of the commercial fire starters work pretty good, as long as you have something to light them with.(important tip there) I keep a box of waterproof self-strike matches in my glove box, and a second under the back seat.

Also a good idea to get and learn to use a magnesium fire starter for emergency backup. Looks like this:
31uDT0GMCWL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I recognize that screen shot, (but never with a target in it, some kind of training scenario?) Counter-strike, De_Dust? I must have busted a cap in my friend Nate about a hundred times when he was standing in the exact location of the player. He never learned,...

For fires I use a mapp gas torch if I'm taking the jeep, just a cigarette lighter and some matches as backup if I'm backpacking. If it's wet try to find the driest wood possible (bark from the underside of deadfall is usually what I go for, but anything that's been sheltered works). Once a good flame is going, you can use wetter stuff but still try for as dry as possible. Stack wet wood around the fire to try and dry it out before putting it on.

Another trick with campfires is to find the fattest log you can, usually a stump, and lay it on one side of the fire. You still have to keep adding small stuff, but that log will burn for hours, so it helps keep the fire hotter, and it reflects the heat all to one side, so sit opposite the big log.

If it's raining, take a thin peice of plastic and hang it between trees, just beside the fire. that way you can stay drier and warm up, but if you hang it directly over the fire it'll melt. And if you're backpacking since you can't take chairs, take a trashbag to sit on.

Also if it's rainy I've noticed lots of other people put tarps under their tents, but I've always found that the tarp just pools the water under the tent so they wake up with standing water seeping through the tent. I've always found sleeping directly on the dirt or on leaves works far better since the water can run away, you just have a muddy tent bottom to clean later.

Also waterproof boots are critical. Some friends and I went backpacking in January and two of them didn't bring waterproof boots despite my telling them many times. They were miserable, it was raining so everything was wet and the ice on the streams was thin and kept breaking. Wet feet make you really, really cold. Also boots will never dry out on a trip once they're wet, so invest in some really good boots, they're worth it.

And if it's raining during the day, and below freeing at night, keep your boots inside the tent at night or they'll be frozen solid in the morning and you can't put them on. Otherwise I leave them under the rain fly to keep the mud outside the tent.

Last edited:
do some reading on camping too. buy a cheap tent and gear, and make sure its something you want to do. hell, read a boy scout manual.

If you have any questions on artic camping, let me know. I help train Saint Bernards for snow rescue. Yes, i have slept outside with just a blanket, and 2 dogs. and it was almost 0 degrees

Socks. Lots of socks. Seriously. Keep a couple spare pair in a dry place. In cold and/or wet environment, if your feet get cold, you are cold. Change into dry socks every 2-3 hours if you can.

General tip: Throw a roll of toilet paper under your back seat.

As far as starting fires, don't use gas except as a last resort. Most of the commercial fire starters work pretty good, as long as you have something to light them with.(important tip there) I keep a box of waterproof self-strike matches in my glove box, and a second under the back seat.

Also a good idea to get and learn to use a magnesium fire starter for emergency backup. Looks like this:
31uDT0GMCWL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
I cannot agree more. I'm always the guy with two pair of spare socks packed for every day I'll be out... it has paid off. If you forget this, there is usually a walmart within range and socks are like 4 bucks for a 12 pack... also, I keep one of those mag fire starters in my right rear pocket. Left rear pocket is for a tiny pair of vise grips I picked up for 2 bucks at Lowes, would not believe the number of tight spots I've gotten myself out of with those on hand.

Also waterproof boots are critical. Some friends and I went backpacking in January and two of them didn't bring waterproof boots despite my telling them many times. They were miserable, it was raining so everything was wet and the ice on the streams was thin and kept breaking. Wet feet make you really, really cold. Also boots will never dry out on a trip once they're wet, so invest in some really good boots, they're worth it.

And if it's raining during the day, and below freeing at night, keep your boots inside the tent at night or they'll be frozen solid in the morning and you can't put them on. Otherwise I leave them under the rain fly to keep the mud outside the tent.
Agreed. I got my junkyarding/camping/jeep work boots for 20 bucks on sale at Building #19 (a northeast phenomenon, iirc - there may be equivalents) - all leather, steel toe. They're probably not 100% waterproof but I've walked through some pretty deep water/mud without anything leaking in so far. Actually Mike, you've seen them... they're sitting in my back hall right now completely covered in mud from your yard :roflmao: those boots are the best 20 bucks I ever spent.

If you want to pick up a tent on the cheap, try yard sales. I actually got mine for free (sleeps 6, or 4 large drunk college students / jeepers) from a friend of mine when she moved out of her college apartment and didn't have space to pack it while moving home. It was missing tent stakes and was filthy but the first camping trip solved that problem.

That reminds me of something else... always bring duct tape, and always bring a hammer, hatchet, and first aid kit.

If you want to pick up a tent on the cheap, try yard sales. I actually got mine for free (sleeps 6, or 4 large drunk college students / jeepers) from a friend of mine when she moved out of her college apartment and didn't have space to pack it while moving home. It was missing tent stakes and was filthy but the first camping trip solved that problem.

I prefer smaller tents, get a 1 man, or 2 if you have a significant other. They tend to stand up to the elements better, and easier to setup. But most important I don't like sleeping that close between a bunch of guys.

Yeah, it isn't ideal but hey, it was free. Usually it's just 2-3 people on the trips I go on, with 4 everyone has a couple feet between them. I definitely would not want to take it backpacking, it weighs like 20lbs all packed up, but it's good for jeep trips, ham radio stuff, and camping with college friends once in a while (i.e. "let's go out in the woods and burn stuff, cook badly, and drink beer")

That's a big no no! You'l learn that on the first super wet camp trip!

A big no no ? then you are doing it wrong my friend.. first off when you spend big money on a tent , you want to protect it from damage. i always clean the area where i set up first but sometimes you get the odd tree root or rock that pokes you in the back all night long.. the ground sheet should be about 10'' to 12'' larger than the foot print of your tent.. if its gonna rain, fold up the edges and tuck em under the fly.. dig a small trench to divert water away from the tent .. believe me i learned along time ago that a went tent does not make for a comfortable camping experiance..

always look for high ground to set up even if its only 6'' or a foot higher than the surrounding area..
i have used these little tips and have stayed dry in torrential rains lasting 4 and 5 days , a small tornado went through and i only suffered one broken pole . they estimated 30,000 trees were knocked down and power to the surrounding area was out for a month...my old tent is 25 yrs old and my kids still use it today
my new tent is a wolfskin 3 man 3 season tent and it is just perfect for 2 people.. and should be handed down to my grandkids..

Last edited:
i didn't read all of every single post, but i noticed that a lot of people were mentioning fire starter tricks. that's cool and all, and i love fire just as much as the next guy but I think there were a few important things that were left relatively unmentioned: food, storage, clothing, gear, etc. one thing at a time, I suppose.

Food: I like to cook simple, hearty meals that have minimal clean up. Breakfast: eggs in a bag. Basically you take a good freezer bag, crack however many eggs you want into it, put in a little milk and any spices/meat/cheese/etc you want, mix it up, get all of the air out (this part is important), label the bag with your initials (if more than one person is eating), and drop it into a pot of boiling water till it’s cooked. Your cleanup is dumping a pot of boiling water and throwing out a plastic baggy.

A good one for dinner is a tin foil meal. Potatoes, veggies, hamburger/steak/whatever meat you choose in a tin foil container. Double layer and wrap it up good. Put it on the edge of the coals for 40 mins or so. It comes out like a mini stew kinda meal. Really yummy.

If you do cook messy meals, take turns cooking/cleaning. Makes it more enjoyable.

Storage: waterproof. Nothing sucks more than working with wet equipment. Having a good waterproof tent is a nice touch too. Don’t forget to use a ground cloth. ‘nuff said.

If you’re camping in an area with bears, be mindful of that. They smell you and know where your food is. Putting it in a big waterproof tarp and securing a bear bag off a tree limb is a common trick. I’m not kidding- that means no granola bars in the tent or anything. I’ve heard some crazy stories.

No shoes on in the tent is another good rule of thumb. It will make the interior last longer and stay cleaner.

Clothing/gear: I saw someone, don’t remember who touched on this already so I won’t beat it into the ground but nothing sucks more than being wet while you’re stuck outside and have no way out. Wear moisture wicking under layers. They won’t feel dirty as fast, they’ll keep you dryer, and more comfortable. Cotton is the enemy of outdoorsmen.

Unless you’re backpacking, bring extra of everything.

off topic: i wonder how many eagle scouts have responded to this thread so far.

Clothing/gear: I saw someone, don’t remember who touched on this already so I won’t beat it into the ground but nothing sucks more than being wet while you’re stuck outside and have no way out. Wear moisture wicking under layers. They won’t feel dirty as fast, they’ll keep you dryer, and more comfortable. Cotton is the enemy of outdoorsmen.

Unless you’re backpacking, bring extra of everything.

off topic: i wonder how many eagle scouts have responded to this thread so far.
Not an eagle scout... I was a scout but my troop was more focused on picking on each other and being popular than camping/hiking really.

As everyone has said, there is a reason cotton is nicknamed "death cloth."

As for food points you made, yeah, definitely... another of the favorites among me and my crew is dinty moore beef stew, throw it in a stock pot and heat it up (add a can of baked beans if you all want to suffer.) Bring a loaf of bread and use it to swab out your bowls and the pot afterwards, tastes great and reduces the amount of scrubbing you have to do. Burgers/dogs are always great because you can grill em up and not really worry about cleanup quite as much.

Bacon grease can be reused when making pancakes so you don't have to bring butter for the griddle/pan.

Another good dinner is cans of stuff. Just crack open the top (just a small hole to relieve pressure, don't take it off unless you want it full of ash), and set it in the coals for five or ten minutes, turn it, and let it cook for another five minutes. Don't forget to take a can opener. Use pliers or a heavy leather glove to take it out.

Beans have some of the highest calorie to weight ratio, but if you're not carrying it on your back I like the Chunky brand cans of stew (half the calories to weight that beans have though). Makes for simple, waterproof, premixed and easy to heat meals. And they're edible uncooked if you fail at making a fire, just not very tasty.

As for the egg idea, I usually take a nalgene bottle with the eggs, so I don't have to worry about a bag breaking in my backpack. Scrambled eggs do make for a difficult to clean mess in the pan though. I will have to try the boiling in a plastic bag trick, but I wouldn't pack it in the bags. I have a high distrust of anything liquid in a tearable or breakable container inside my backpack.

i wouldn't pack the eggs in a bag. we did broke them on site after taking them out of the cooler...

well i guess that makes me the only one :gee: not trying to be a jerk about it...

Back