• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how big of tires can i put on a jeep cherokee stock 15in rim?

thanks, how you like the radial swampers, they wearing well? how much air pressure.

gorman said:
I'm running 33x12.5x15 on stock Ecco rims with 1.25" spacers. I haven't adjusted my steering stops yet, but it only touches the control arm lightly on full lock.

In the pic below you can see how far they stick out underneath the stock fenders.

03122007010.jpg

03122007012.jpg

Specs ?

outlander said:
Damn Gormans rig has to be the cleanest modified xj I've ever seen....
junkxj said:
Is that a compliment?

Thanks, I'll take it as a compliment!

Here's the specs from my signature on another forum:
  • 2000 Cherokee Country 4.0l, AW4 auto, NP242,
  • RE 4.5" coils,
  • OME CS034RA leafs beefed up with custom extra leafs,
  • OME N35 & N36 shocks (currently with shock spacers, but will go with OME LT shocks in the front and in the rear the mounts will be modified on the new axle that will go in),
  • RE 1.75" coil spring spacers (but with the OE coilspring isolators removed),
  • RE 1.5" lift boomerang shackles,
  • JKS Quicker Disconnects,
  • RE SYE, RE CV driveshaft,
  • 33" Goodyear MTR tyres,
  • 15x7 OE rims with 1.25" wheel spacers (4" backspacing),
  • ARB bumper,
  • Hella Comet 550's,
  • Warn M8000 winch,
  • GME GX300 29mhz,
  • custom rocksliders

Now my question is, (not to bring back a semi old thread) using this stock rim the ecco's with a 33 x 12.5 tire what would the minimum lift be? im looking to buy a lift and im not crazy about usless height, just enought to clear the tires. I know about the backspacing and steering adjustments.. just minimum height... including fender triming and without... thanks guys and i have to aggree one of the cleanest looking xj's out there... it would only be better if it was missing two of something... :rolleyes:

edited to fix my height mistake...i found that maybe my left middle finger didnt quite extend to hit the "E" key... thanks low range

Last edited:
lowrange2 said:
2-6 inchs... depends on how much you want to trim. - More lift = less trim. Type 'Hight' again. It's funny.

more bumpstop = less trim.

you can still stuff the tire to the same place whether it's stock or got 20" of lift.

i ran 33 1250s on srock steel wheels and 3in of lift with very little rubbing. at full lock in the front they hit the lower control arms. in the rear on full stuff they would hit the inner wheelwells. never touched my flares or body... no trimming and stock uncut flares

If I could go back to when I started building my rig I would have went with a 3-4" lift,trimming and proper bump stops to fit my 34"'s
I went with a 5.5" re lift and it has gotten expensive with driveline mods,axle shimming,steering modifications and alignment adjustments....back then I didn't know any better.
I could have installed a 3-4" budget system instead of the $1300 I dropped on the re lift and all the other mods to get everything to work in unison.
With all the money I save that way I would be geared down and fully locked front and rear right now with arb's!!!

Back then I thought you needed a tall lift to fit big tires.I didn't understand that it's all in suspension droop not uptravel....

lowrange2 said:
With 5 inch backspacing... Are you not planing on turning...lol

He did ask what was the largest tire size on a stock 15incher.

35X10.5-15 Boggers or Q78-15 Swampers would be a fun choice, with spacers of course

outlander said:
Back then I thought you needed a tall lift to fit big tires.I didn't understand that it's all in suspension droop not uptravel....

If that what you think make a great trail rig thats your opinion I like to pick up the pace and have some fun at speed. It's not all about going slow.....

Last edited:
This thread is not about what I think is a great trail rig.He asked about minimum lift "hight"(sorry couldn't resist)to clear 33's
He's not building for jeepspeed......you can still go fast with a small lift and bigger tires,it's called progressive bumpstops.;)

Last edited:
outlander said:
This thread is not about what I think is a great trail rig.He asked about minimum lift "hight"(sorry couldn't resist)to clear 33's
He's not building for jeepspeed......you can still go fast with a small lift and bigger tires,it's called progressive bumpstops.;)

2"-3" of lift with 2.5" bumpstops, stock travel shocks and heavy fender cutting.

If you used progressive bumpstops at the minimum amount of lift they would be compressed at ride height. It will still need 2.5" of bumpstop to keep the tires off the cut fenders.

Back