• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How Bad Really is the BA10?

joester1908

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I'm buying an 87 Cherokee Chief this week. It's a red 2 door, D44 rear axle, in pretty nice shape, 4.0 liter, but the only problem with it is it has the BA10.

I drove it and it shifts in to gear perfect. Doesn't grind, pop out of gear, anything. How bad is the BA10? What do you look for? I've heard tons of horror stories about these transmissions, and compared to the AX15 in my Comanche and my dad's TJ, it is visually smaller in diameter.

I guess my question is what am I looking for on this trans? Swapping to an AX15 if I decided to keep this for a while isn't a problem, I can definitely do it, but is it really worth it?

^ agreed, but bear in mind that it is a weaker unit than the AX-15 so it may not withstand heavy use/abuse.
keep good oil in it and treat it nice and it should last a while.

Be carefull when using reverse offroad or stuck. the guy I had rebuild my ax15 said the way they are designed, the reverse gear doesn't engage as much as it should, focusing the stresses onto few teeth.

Run it till it dies, then upgrade. Standard Jeep philosophy.

this.

and since it's gonna die, find yourself an AX-15 and set aside all the parts to do the swap.

you can make the BA-10 clutch hose work, but the AX-15 one fits tons better. The only place I ever found it was NAPA.

^ agreed, but bear in mind that it is a weaker unit than the AX-15 so it may not withstand heavy use/abuse.
keep good oil in it and treat it nice and it should last a while.

I don't plan on wheeling it. It has a 3.55 D44 in the rear, and a 3.07 D30 in the front. So I'm going to swap in a 3,07 D35 I have laying around and my dad is going to use the 44 for his, and I'll be able to use the 4wd.

If it were me, I'd just put a 3.55 D30 in it. But I am a Dad who has done a ****load of stuff for my son(s), voluntarily, and I would certainly force my son to give me his D44. You WILL regret 3.07 gears more than the BA10...simply gutless.

If it were me, I'd just put a 3.55 D30 in it. But I am a Dad who has done a ****load of stuff for my son(s), voluntarily, and I would certainly force my son to give me his D44. You WILL regret 3.07 gears more than the BA10...simply gutless.

Yea I'm sure the 3.07s will be slow.

I have a 1990 Comanche with D44s, ARBs, chromoly shafts, etc. My dad built the axles for his Cherokee. Then lost interest in it and sold it. The only thing left to do was have the ARBs put in the housings. He made me a KILLER deal on all the stuff for my MJ. So I owe him :cheers:

Here's the Cherokee
17511DBD-042E-4806-8F56-B60AD6B03F1B.jpg

Going into reverse make damned sure you hold, and force the stick to keep it in reverse, (Don't let go), otherwise it could someday pop out.., not good. Mine has nearly a quarter million on it, and that's the way it goes.., as well as perhaps double clutching from first into second when the oil is cold, (or a slow shift through first to second). Feel like it's going to blow up soon if I am not very, very careful. POI. Looks like you are going to have a fun time with that red beast.

what size tires are those?

Before I did a 3.07 swap I'd go get a pair of later model 3.55 geared axles. Give the D44 to your pops, put stock 8.25/d30 in it.
30" tires and 3.55s is stock revs per mile.
3.73s and 31's is stock revs per mile.
I've done both.

The other thing is that 3.07 gears axles are harder to find when you need to yard a replacement. 3.55 gears one are everywhere. That's why my MJ is getting 30's and 3.55's. Easy to find axle replacements, cheap tires, factory gearing so the speedo is correct. Plus, 30's look right on a stock MJ.

Also, going from a 44 to a 35 will make you find a new rear shaft, or have yours lengthened. I assume you've got the stock case in there that has the slip yoke into the case. It's easier to come by the late model fixed style shafts these days since most of the early stuff has died.

edit:
deeper gears in the axle will relieve some stress on your BA10 as well.

what size tires are those?

Before I did a 3.07 swap I'd go get a pair of later model 3.55 geared axles. Give the D44 to your pops, put stock 8.25/d30 in it.
30" tires and 3.55s is stock revs per mile.
3.73s and 31's is stock revs per mile.
I've done both.

The other thing is that 3.07 gears axles are harder to find when you need to yard a replacement. 3.55 gears one are everywhere. That's why my MJ is getting 30's and 3.55's. Easy to find axle replacements, cheap tires, factory gearing so the speedo is correct. Plus, 30's look right on a stock MJ.

Also, going from a 44 to a 35 will make you find a new rear shaft, or have yours lengthened. I assume you've got the stock case in there that has the slip yoke into the case. It's easier to come by the late model fixed style shafts these days since most of the early stuff has died.

edit:
deeper gears in the axle will relieve some stress on your BA10 as well.

I have the correct rear shaft. I really would like to keep the 3.55 ratio. It's on 33s. The Jeep came with a HP D30 from a 94 XJ that has 3.55s, heres the backstory.

My dad had a 94 XJ. 8.25/D30, 3.55s
He bought a TJ D44 front and XJ D44 rear. He had 4.56, ARBs, chromolys, new bearings, and a new carrier installed from the a guy who knows a guy who owns a shop that knows a guy that knows how to do it.
He gave me his D30 and I swapped out the vacuum front axle.
I found an XJ D44 on craigslist, with 3.55s.
Then I sold my vacuum D30, but we kept my dad's 8.25
The front end of my dad's Jeep started making wild howling, and the 4x4 shop said it was installed wrong. Mind you this is probably 2 years later.
My dad was tired of working on it and bought a 98 TJ. The front axle works, but the rear axle would require grinding off the leaf spring perches and welding on all of the TJ brackets on the rear axle. We looked and the cheapest kit we could find was 350 bucks, plus the front end needed new bearings, and it costs 200 to have the 4x4 shop reshim the carrier, which my dad decided he didn't have the time or money to do it.
He sold me the front axle, and the internals of the rear axle, and sold the D44 separate. He bought an HP30 from Craigslist, put back in the 8.25, put stock suspension on it, I swapped his SYE tail shaft on mine, then he sold it.
I got the axles for a screaming deal. I paid for the new front bearings, to have the front carrier reshimmed, and I paid the 350 to have the ARB installed in my XJ D44. Then I did a manual swap, SOA, long arm, etc.

Here's where the 87 comes in.
A friend at work bought this Jeep. He told me it had wrong ratios. I crawled under it to see the rear diff is 3.55, front diff is 3.07. I told him most likely, someone swapped in the rear diff and didn't pay attention to the ratios. So I sold him the 3.55 front diff that was originally in my dad's 94 XJ, then under my MJ. He didn't get around to ever installing it. Then he sold the Jeep to me.

So here's what I got, 87 XJ, 3.07 vacuum disconnect D30 (installed), D44 3.55 (installed) and the 3.55 non vacuum D30, (uninstalled). I also have a 3.07 D35 from a wrecked 1990 XJ. So here's the plan:

Install the 3.07 D35 in the 87, and my dad is going to put the TJ perches on the XJ D44. Then he will swap that in with the HP30 and will have 3.55s in his TJ. Right now he's on 3.07/33s.

We only bought this because my dad wanted the D44. At this point, a friend of mine really wants to buy it. Once we swap the axle, get it running right, and fix a few safety issues, we will probably sell it to him.

Sorry this is lengthly, but that's the story haha

if it's got s 3.55 d30, then just go find a later model 8.25 and bolt it up. Done. KJ/ZJ disc brakes if you want.

Back