• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How bad are Renix brakes really?

Last edited:
I found these

http://www.geocities.com/cantwait_forviolence/images/drum_brakes_setup.jpg

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/DBrakes01.jpg

Neither shows which shoe goes where. Best I can tell is that the front shoe is the smaller of the 2 surface area wise.

Yes, IIRC the smaller pad shoe goes on the left, front side. I think I recall making that same spring, shoe to shoe, instead of front shoe to adjuster like it shows in the picture, mistake last month, and then realizing it had to be wrong. I was too busy talking when I made the mistake, LOL.

Sure sounds like your on the right path there.

Getting different answers to this question. The pictures that I have found show the primmary shoe towards the rear and the secondary towards the front. This is the same way I took them off. Is this correct? Havent been able to find instructions that state which shoe goes where.

I still have horriable brakes. next I may try replacing the prop valve.

I have suspected problems with the prop vlave on mine, but never could get the brake lines loose on it, and was not ready to run new lines. But I never had problems bleeding mine.

Did you get the drums checked for excess wear? If the drums are worn too far the pads can not really reach them. Other than that the only other possible problems, are the MC, or Slave C worn out, or Brake booster leaking vacuum. And of course not installing springs, etc correctly.

I checked my Haynes, picture confirms that the small pad is front side, left, and large pad is rear, right side.

Are the front ones working? Check the rattle clips on the front pads, they are easy to install wrong too. I found 3 wrongs ways to install them!:D

the pads I got didnt come with any clips.

the pads I got didnt come with any clips.

Then you need to go buy them in a hardware kit, and get a picure of how to install them. They don't come with the pads, just in a hardware kit with bolt boots (rubber) and ?? I forget the other item.

They are basically anti rattle clips, but they also keep the pads close to the rotor, so they don't have to travel far to engage the rotor and brake.

Back