• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How about these...

ren

NAXJA Forum User
for vents in the hood. I am thinking that they give quite a bit of space for heat to escape, yet don't look like cheese. They kind of give that "heat extracter" look like some of the F-350 hoods that I have seen. Any thoughts?
vents-2.jpg

vents.jpg

Dude... My phone camera has NIGHT VISION. WHOA!!!

What did they come off of? Looks like they would work good.

These are off of a 95-97 Ford Mustang, believe it or not. They are mounted right behind the door, and they just "pop" off. If the rain will leave me alone tomorrow, I am going to work on the install (with pictures), soo, stay tuned.

Last edited:
ren said:
These are off of a 95-97 Ford Mustang, believe it or not. They are mounted right behind the door, and they just "pop" off. Ifthe rain will leave me alone tomorrow, I am going to work on the install (with pictures), soo, stay tuned.

Actually those look like they're off a 99-04 V6 Mustang. Let me know how they work, if they can stay attached easily I'll go get the 99-04 GT ones.

The 99-04 ones actually extend from the body by a little over an inch more than these do. As for attaching them, I have a couple ideas in mind, and hopefully the 1st one works the best, even though it is a bit involved.
I am going to be cutting the hood just enough to insert these into a hole that has the edges "sliced", so that I have a flange under the leading edge, on both sides, and the trailing edge resting on the hood. From the under side, the leading and trailing flanges will be notched to fit around the factory "tabs", then I will bolt them down. Hopefully, this will work the best. I will hopefully be able to post results up tomorrow.
backofvent.jpg

Last edited:
My only thought would be would it be able to provide the same amount of air flow as bigger vents. Maybe thats irrelevant. But it would be something different from what most people are doing, and it looks good.

Yeah, I thought about the airflow thing, too. One of the biggest things that I like about these vents is that they recess into the hood, and the actual opening is just about perfect for the fan to blow the air straight out thru them. Plus, using Ricer Theory here, they should be worth about 200 HP and 180 lb-ft of torque!! I like the way that they look, as you are right about them being different. Piece by piece, I am proving that even the mighty XJ is still a"true" Jeep, since mine is starting to use parts from the big "3", just like the Jeeps of old.
ventsize.jpg

Last edited:
Other parts huh? Well, my rear springs are from an S-10 Blazer ( it burned down, approriately named vehicle, yes?), front marker/turn signal sockets from a mid-80's Dodge van, seats from a (God help me, I detest the things)TJ, power steering cooler from a Ford Tempo (WAS the tranny cooler) front driveshaft from an S-10 (yes it actually works), rear shaft from a 94-95 Exploder (remove flange install slip yoke-1310 U-joints for BOTH vehicles). I think that that is about it for now! Forgot to add the steering wheel from a Chevy Cavalier, assorted switches from conversion van packages, late (98 model) valve cover, and the Cherry Bomb about 2 1/2 feet long ( damn thing rumbles like a V-8 enough to make even the street rods wonder what is going on under the hood :) ).
Future tricks include things such as actually hooking up the under fuse box that I snatched out of a wrecked car, T-bird V-8 coils, rear hatch set-up from a ZJ, so that when I cut the roof open later next week, the back window can actually open, and the axles out of my 1971 Bronco that cam e factory geared (!) at 4.10's. That should do until spring, maybe (then again, I could NP435,EB D-20 the sucker while I am at it, since I already have all the parts out in the yard :) ).

Last edited:
Progress for the day ( would have gotten more done, but I just had to go 'wheeling for most of the day ):
untitled1.jpg

untitled.jpg

untitled5.jpg

untitled2.jpg

untitiled3.jpg

I still have to make the strips to bolt the scoops down on the hood from the other side. I think that I am going to end up curving the strips to match the shape of the scoops, as they don't want to flatten out fully. After I get back from the Gorge tomorrow, I will work on these some more. The hood that you see is an old scrap one that I am using to get my pattern just right on, before I chop up my good hood. I am going to cut this piece out and use it for a template, since the scoops are mirrors of each other.

You know some thing I have often thought about and is quite old school but back in flavour again, is the ones that fit in the front guards behind the wheel opening. Your old Trans-Ams i think had them but seen now on BMW's and even Range Rovers and the new Discovery III.

Range-Rover-Sport-Arden-7.jpg

Here is a Discovery one but thought it was a bit big to post.
http://www.matzker.de/media/content/images/MatzkerDiscovery3_hoch.jpg

I think you would run some ducting to it from the back corner of the inner guard to make it work well.

Last edited:
Gojeep said:
You know some thing I have often thought about and is quite old school but back in flavour again, is the ones that fit in the front guards behind the wheel opening. Your old Trans-Ams i think had them but seen now on BMW's and even Range Rovers and the new Discovery III.

Range-Rover-Sport-Arden-7.jpg

Here is a Discovery one but thought it was a bit big to post.
http://www.matzker.de/media/content/images/MatzkerDiscovery3_hoch.jpg

I think you would run some ducting to it from the back corner of the inner guard to make it work well.

Back in the day they were called gills if i remember right. But yeah just like on the late 70's Z-28's
http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/1979/79zvent.jpg
These i bet would be pretty good for venting but because they are off of a Z meanse you may pay for them too.

Back