• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horrible clunk from Park to Drive

sheffeyva

NAXJA Forum User
Ever since I got my NP 231 installed with my new driveline I have been getting a horrible clunk when the transmission engages into reverse sometimes but almost always into drive. Could this be caused by having no front driveline attached? I am waiting to figure out how I am going to adapt the transfer case to my selector handle cause it originally came with a NP 228! Te driveline was built by a guy over in Troutdale. Can't remember his name or his shops name but he runs it out of his house and Torx has had some of his built there so I now it's good. Maybe a stretched chain in the TC? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Sorry about the confusing part above about the member Torx and the locations! Forgot I was posting in the Modified section and not in the Northwest section but it's more appropriate here!

My first thought is sloppy driveshaft ujoints...

Can you have someone (you trust!) cycle it while you lay under and see what's moving and what isn't?

Robert

Should I be looking to see if the driveline moves without the TC moving?
Or the rear end?

Yes. :)

If the top/front joint is bad, the tc output will clunk against the shaft.

If the lower/rear joint is bad, the shaft will clunk against the diff pinion.

Good chance it's actually both. If you replace one, you should really do em both anyway while you've got it out...

Robert

Yes. :)

If the top/front joint is bad, the tc output will clunk against the shaft.

If the lower/rear joint is bad, the shaft will clunk against the diff pinion.

Good chance it's actually both. If you replace one, you should really do em both anyway while you've got it out...

Robert
How hard is it to replace the u-joints in a double cardan setup? The one u-joint at the rear end was replaced by the guy who lengthened my driveshaft!

How hard is it to replace the u-joints in a double cardan setup? The one u-joint at the rear end was replaced by the guy who lengthened my driveshaft!

Google is your friend on this one. I've come across a few step by steps on a DC rebuild. The cheapest solution is hit your local JY for another DS.

Google is your friend on this one. I've come across a few step by steps on a DC rebuild. The cheapest solution is hit your local JY for another DS.
It's cheaper to go to my local JY and get another one have it lengthened again? It cost me 125.00 to get my current one lengthened but I already had a shaft. No Cherokee or Grand Cherokee had one in the length I needed!

Oops I must have missed that. The co that lengthened your DS would have noticed a bad dc or u joint when they balanced it. I would check them but not likely your clunk IMO.
Are you sure tcase is in 2hi?

Back