• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horn go off by itself...Jeep wont shut off?

That was it..the left lower corner plug in had some wjhite powder around it.I pulled the connector and it was green and corroded inside.Im gonna have to find a new block and that connector that is corroded..is it a big job to change that out?

That was it..the left lower corner plug in had some wjhite powder around it.I pulled the connector and it was green and corroded inside.Im gonna have to find a new block and that connector that is corroded..is it a big job to change that out?

No. Just make sure both positive and negative battery cables are removed before changing the JB. Sometimes the harness (with the corroded connector) can be a PITA.

Battery cable protocol: Remove (-) Battery cable first, then (+) cable. Install (+) Cable first, then (-) cable.

Here's the Junction Block R&R process:

REMOVAL

(1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative and positive cables.
(2) Remove the fuse access panel by unsnapping it from the right cowl side inner trim panel.
(3) Remove the push nut that secures the right cowl side inner trim panel to the junction block stud.
(4) Remove the screw located above the fuse access opening that secures the trim panel to the right cowl side inner panel.
(5) Remove the screw that secures the right cowl side inner trim panel and right front door sill trim to the door opening sill.
(6) Remove the trim from the right cowl side inner panel.
(7) Remove the screw that secures the lower instrument panel wire harness connector to the junction block.
(8) Disconnect all of the wire harness connectors from the connector receptacles on the junction block.
(9) Remove the three nuts that secure the junction block to the studs on the right cowl side inner panel
(10) Remove the junction block from the right cowl side inner panel.

INSTALLATION

NOTE: If the Junction Block (JB) is being replaced
with a new unit, be certain to transfer each of the
fuses, circuit breakers and relays from the old JB to
the proper cavities of the new JB. Refer to Junction
Block in the Contents of Group 8W - Wiring Diagrams
for the proper JB cavity assignments.

(1) Position the junction block onto the right cowl side inner panel. (2) Install and tighten the three nuts that secure the junction block to the studs on the right cowl side
inner panel. Tighten the nuts to 2.7 N·m (24 in. lbs.).
(3) Reconnect all of the wire harness connectors to the connector receptacles on the junction block.
(4) Install and tighten the screw that secures the lower instrument panel wire harness connector to the junction block. Tighten the screw to 3.5 N·m (31 in.lbs.).
(5) Position the trim onto the right cowl side inner panel.
(6) Install and tighten the screw that secures the right cowl side inner trim panel and right front door sill trim to the door opening sill. Tighten the screw to 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.).
(7) Install and tighten the screw located above the fuse access opening that secures the trim panel to the right cowl side inner panel. Tighten the screw to
2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.).
(8) Install the push nut that secures the right cowl side inner trim panel onto the junction block stud.
(9) Install the fuse access panel by snapping it onto the right cowl side inner trim panel.
(10) Reconnect the battery cables.

how long has your son had this Jeep? There are a lot of vehicles being bought and sold recently that have been through Hurricane/Suprestorm Sandy. If it was someone elses' during that time frame, I'd dig deeper into any wiring harnesses and plugs that are dash level or lower. Salt water does a number on wiring connections!

He's had it for about 2 years ...thanks for the part #....I need to replace that connector too..it's all corroded..it looks like something got spilled down the dash.The connector looks fried..I'm gonna search for one tommorow..hopefully this nightmare will be over!

I followed your instructions to a T and I am happy to saw the XJ is up and running normally.There was quite a bit of corrosion on the fuse box after I popped the cover off. I think the most difficult part of the job was soldering in the new connector for the harness.He has been tooling around all day and no issues.I want to thank everybody for the advice! I never would have even thought this could happen...the 2 shops that worked on it also had no clue...I was ready to throw in the towel!

I followed your instructions to a T and I am happy to saw the XJ is up and running normally.There was quite a bit of corrosion on the fuse box after I popped the cover off. I think the most difficult part of the job was soldering in the new connector for the harness.He has been tooling around all day and no issues.I want to thank everybody for the advice! I never would have even thought this could happen...the 2 shops that worked on it also had no clue...I was ready to throw in the towel!

Good work.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Show those ate up parts to the nose pickers at those 2 shops that worked on it and that had no clue. And, tell them you learned how to fix it here on NAXJA.

Haha...thanks...the best part is one of the shops is run by my ex-father in law....I felt like a idiot that I couldn't figure this out.My son brought it to his shop because my exwife said that her Dad could fix it....long story short he replaced the negative battery cable and said it was fixed.I appreciate his help and all , but when my kid showed him the corroded fuse box ,he had no explanation how his "pro" mechanics missed that...I think the fact that I figured it out burned his ass a bit....I did fess up to my kid that got the info from the Board....Thanks again guys

sorry to kind of jack this thread but I have been having similar problems with my 98, ill start with when I think the problem started... when I first brought my jeep home the interior was in such poor shape that I took the seats out and some of the panels out just to clean it and in doing so I noticed that the 3 wire plug under the driver side kickpanel for the dome light was unplugged, so I plugged it back in and everything seemed fine and the dome light even worked as it should. after a while im not sure how long a week/month idk, anyway the horn would randomly start going off and sometimes the jeep would be dead and Id have to jump it. and sometimes it wouldn't shut off, then it would be fine for a while then it would start acting up again... only now I noticed that when I would shut the driver side door the light for the defroster button would come on with out the button being pressed on, id open the door and the light would go off, that's when I realized that the rear defroster was draining the battery and 3 wire plug I plugged back in was undone for a reason... I have replaced the igniton switch and the wires all look good and I did also pull the jb and take it apart and it looked pretty good, I cleaned it alittle and put it back together but was still having the problem...

Back