• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Vents/Louvers, Rain storm, problems...

Well "O" I did do this mod,,,,with the Le Baron vents,,,,,pics in paint& body work .
Mine are spaced down at least 1" and hit nothing,as posted I used a cheap cookie baking sheet for the driver side and a metal "Beware of Dog" sign for the other. I also am running a Rustys air intake
Also the rear of my hood is spaced up 1/4".

Well "O" I did do this mod,,,,with the Le Baron vents,,,,,pics in paint& body work .
Mine are spaced down at least 1" and hit nothing,as posted I used a cheap cookie baking sheet for the driver side and a metal "Beware of Dog" sign for the other. I also am running a Rustys air intake
Also the rear of my hood is spaced up 1/4".

Do you have any pics? I would guess the rear hood spacing helps w/the space issue, but I'd like to see what you did if you can...

If I had it to do over again, I'd move the louvers over/outboard a bit and I think mostly avoid the Intake/TPS all together in the event of rain.

I will take and post pics of the pans I bent and Mr. Sihler, yours sounds like a good solution as well. Be advised though that raising the hood at the back, even a quater inch, makes for more room over the TB than either Redsnake or myself have. And, for that matter, I have even less room due to the supercharger being in the way.

Pesky supercharger anyways...

I have drip pans with my Z34 vents that I am installing this weekend. I will be running them in fall/winter but for now i'm leaving them off. Its gonna be hot at the Cherokee crawl and I need all the air flow I can get!

So even with that drip pan you think you are getting sufficient heat escape? It seems that the pan would block most of the heat trying to escape.

What vents are those? I really like them.

Drip Pans...

In all thier glory.

HoodVent3.jpg

Close Up.

HoodVent1.jpg

Front View.

HoodVent2.jpg

I understand why you would want drip pans, but the ones I am seeing just seem to direct all the water to one place since the pictures I have seen don't have lips to hold any water that might collect

So even with that drip pan you think you are getting sufficient heat escape? It seems that the pan would block most of the heat trying to escape.

What vents are those? I really like them.

Mine are gen-right and I do think that they should still allow enough heat to escape out the louvers...

http://www.genright.com/category.aspx?categoryID=117

I like the way o's drip pans look too. I may 're-engineer' mine given some additional time and now that I've seen these.

I was thinking of doing this mod but I wonder if cowls reversed so the opening points towards the windscreen would be better - any thoughts?

I was thinking of doing this mod but I wonder if cowls reversed so the opening points towards the windscreen would be better - any thoughts?

Not sure I follow... but the openings of my louvers do point toward the cowl/windshield... so that it helps to pull hot air out of the engine bay. Is that what you're thinking?

A full on cowl hood would likely be the best solution, but they're hard to find (unless you're adapt at fabricating your own) and also can be quite expensive.

You do, IMO, want the shaped vents to point aft. Otherwise, they act as scoops and pull water into the bay. Any hole from the bay to the outside will vent heat. The engine bay is, relatively speaking, "pressurized" due to the fans and just the air being shoved through the radiator. Not to any large point here, we are talking millibar pressures. But still.

What I can tell you is that with both fans running the heat that gets kicked out of the bay is ferocious. On the right side, where the Ford fan lives, the heat that is rushing out of the Fender Well is staggering. The Left side that has the Stock fan, not so much which is leading me to see if there is any possible way to get another Ford fan in there. Have not checked yet but... I suspect that there is not enough clearance to take the fan. I will check though.

I bent the pans in my bench vise using some 1/8" aluminium angle stock to make the jaws. I used a combination of a leather mallet and my rubber mallet to massage the metal into place. Prior to any metal work, measurements were taken and a paper template was made. If you look at the vents, they are not square but are parallelograms. Also, they are pitched to direct the water flow. Used this as a teaching moment for my Kid. We, OK, HE took the measurements. I had him fire up my copy of AutoCAD 2012 and start the design. Once we (OK, I) was happy with it, he printed it out, folded it and did a test fit on the Kitchen table.

Then, and only then, were the holes were cut and everything installed. Fit the first time, no issues and was a good moment with the Kid. Being as old as he is, I do not get many of these kind of moments any more. He graduates with his BFA in December. Going to be a 3D Animator. Good choice that.

Hi Redsnake what I was trying to say was rather than have louvered hood vents which can let in a lot of rain if you took two small cowls (one on either side of the hood instead of the louvered hood vents) and reversed them so they were a cowl (backward facing) rather than a scoop that might reduce the need for drip pans.
See the link below
http://racecomposites.com/mini2bolt.htm

Hi Redsnake what I was trying to say was rather than have open louvered hood vents, then 2 rear facing cowls might reduce the rain problem see link below
http://racecomposites.com/mini2bolt.htm

I think those could work just as well and prevent the need for drip pans. I actually was looking at some cowl/scoups designed for 280Z cars... but they were just more $$ than I had wanted to spend and not sure how they would look on my XJ.

I have sort of the opposite of what all you guys have, I have aluminum plates that I have bolted over my hood vents so water cant get in there and the hot air can get out. I had to many problems with rust etc. with other materials so it has all stainless steel hardware, & aluminum. The covers sit off of the vents by a 1/4 inch or so. When I go wheeling they are on wing nuts, and I can have the vents wide open. No good pics really
jeep.jpg

FYI on my vents. The vents are made out of aluminium and I used Stainless Steel button head fasteners. Why the button heads? They are the only purely cosmetic item on my Heep. Everything else is functional first.

In time, I may go with larger vents as the compressor I have (the Sprintex, not the ARB...) will be getting replaced with one that has a bit more output. More output equals more heat equals larger vents and possibly an aluminium radiator. And an engine oil cooler to boot.

I already have an aux transmisison cooler (salvaged from an F350) and have the Power Steering return line passing through a cooler (salvaged from the same F350) both being stock parts. Just not Jeep parts... Only the PS cooler sits in front of the radiator and it sits low, on the driver side.

Source of my Vents? Salvaged off of a, believe it or not, '98 XJ at my local Pick & Pay. Snagged them same day as the coolers. The Heep I took the vents off of had them not only pointing the wrong way but they were not symmetrically mounted either. All crooked and very strange...

The point of all of this, IMO, is to get as much air passing through the radiator as possible as well as just letting the heat from the exhaust manifold out.

Back