• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Scoop!

fitbmxseries1

NAXJA Forum User
found this scoop on ebay super cheap, mounts up absolutly perfect! i added 2 studs on front and back (dont care what any one says i wonts trust somthing like that to double sided tape!) it was just painted this morning (black of coarse) hoping ill get it mounted this weekend... if i have enough time, it WILL be fully functional! as long as can get it done ill throw som pics up!

but heres the test fit shots before paint and any work,
031908_17412.jpg

looks like an older mustang scoop. Maybe mid 80's. I'm waiting to see more

you can cut around the internal bracing, I ran something like that backwards, treat the cut line with rust paint or the like, and use black door edge molding to clean it up. it will make a difference. just remember when its puring out your dumping water on top of your engine, I just had to be careful about parking downhill in the rain

fitbmxseries1 said:
found this scoop on ebay super cheap, mounts up absolutly perfect! i added 2 studs on front and back (dont care what any one says i wonts trust somthing like that to double sided tape!) it was just painted this morning (black of coarse) hoping ill get it mounted this weekend... if i have enough time, it WILL be fully functional! as long as can get it done ill throw som pics up!

but heres the test fit shots before paint and any work,
031908_17412.jpg
Link please???

right now im about to head off to work but you can search for mustang hood scoop on ebay. I found this one used guy was selling it cause it didnt fit on his car. when i get back ill toss a few links up, Its also on JC whitney for like 60$... im sure thats where he got it cause thats what it says on the box. I need to try to finish up the drip tray and ducting under the hood. I am going to just cut around the bracing. The holes dont have to be too big and im scared to cut one the size of the scoop... thats alot of metal.

How are you planning on making it function? Are you routing the air intake over there? Or just additional cooling to the engine bay?

tupton said:
I'm sorry, but I think it looks awlful. But hey, function over looks, right?

Not too sure on the functionality of it........maybe put it on backwards and use as a heat extracter once yoy start butchering the hood and scoop................................

since i am cutting the hood i have to do a drip tray that will catch and drain the water, that will also route air to the air filter. I am not gunna seal it off to the airbox though so it will also vent hot air out.
as i was wet sanding it i found a crack so i had to repair it and repaint it, so i probably wont get it on this weekend due to all the family stuff going on for easter.

tupton, hopfully youll like it better when its painted? if not to each his own right? i set it on before i repainted it today and it looked way better, i should have taken pics but maybe later tonight when i pick it up from work.

Im also going to have to block it off with a plate untill i can figure out how to make the drainage. any ideas?

I just cut holes in my hood for my LeBaron vents, no drip pans or anything, no problems either. Yet. Unless the TPS might be failing cuz of that...hm, now I have to remember to check on that to see where it is in relation to the vents. Darn you for making me think! :D

went to work and picked it up, paint came out amazing. No cracks in the fiberglass this time! Ill still need to wet sand then pull out the buffer, unfortunatly the jeep isnt as shiny (tree branches just destroyed my paint last summer when i took it to some trails) heres a pic its got some snow/water on it right now from moving it from my car into the house but you get the idea of how shiny it is! And just think some one on this site told me i was stupid for paying 350$ for a paint gun! but with how smooth and even it went on it was worth every cent!:lecture:

032108_13051.jpg

BlackSport96 said:
I just cut holes in my hood for my LeBaron vents, no drip pans or anything, no problems either. Yet. Unless the TPS might be failing cuz of that...hm, now I have to remember to check on that to see where it is in relation to the vents. Darn you for making me think! :D

SORRY! thinking can get overcomplicated especially when it turns into an idea.

i have no idea what i should do with my water situation but just a pan that deflects water from the engine cant be any worse then having soupy mud hit your fan and cover every thing imaginable.

Yeah, I'd imagine even just deflecting to hit the ide of the engine away from sensors would be enough.

well its all mounted up heres a few shots, still need to finish up the holes in the hood for venting and intake but i dont have my tools at my house and they are all at work... and i called in sick today lol

DSC00817.jpg

DSC00814.jpg

looks decent

Looks a lot better when painted. So are you routing that air into the intake? That'd be an oddly shaped filter and all. Or were you just dumping cool air in there and hoping it "flushes out" the hot air.

i had an idea to cut two holes in the hood one will use to vent out hot air and the other will route air twards the intake, not like ram air but it will bring cold air to the filter. i still need to find some sort of ducting or make somthing that will work. some how fit it under the hood too. I may have to use my fiberglassing skills on this one. (fiberglassing skills are hopfully better then my paint shop skills.

Untitled-2.jpg

Back