• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

home-made snorkler for water fording

Well that's about the kind of well rounded articulate response I was expecting from you. Good job:worship:

Right on!! Haha! Sorry 95 heep for the thread jack! But anyways I'm interested in the home made snorkel as well. I likethe one the austrailian guy made on a write up somewhere but I wonder where the material he used can be found. As well as the cost in American dollars.

Easy to do... ;) Rover canister filter (if you want one, shoot me a PM as I have an extra one), some flexible tubing (XJ 90* air intake rubber hose), a bit of exhaust tubing and some sort of a topper. Pics are here.

Hey Kejtar thats a spiffy little setup you got there!! The rover canister, where can i get one? And a little more insight on your setup please.

I used 2 90* jeep air intake hose (ones that go between the TB and the stock filter box). First one goes between the Rover canister and air intake, second one goes from the rover canister to inside of the fender. In there I used some reshaped exhause tubing (BFH fabrications ;) ) to mate that to a air 90* intake hose from a mid 90's Ford truck (at least that's what I think it was). Idea is to have something flexible to go out to the fender by the window. Then I used 3" exhaust and went up the A pillar.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention: the in and out on the rover canister is very narrow so what I did was cut them off, attach 3" exhause tubing pieces, tack welded them on and then used stuff that's kind of like JB weld to seal it up.

Slightly off topic, but when you go snorkling, doesn't that fry your alternator? Do you all relocate your alternators, carry a spare, or head for the autoparts after your diving adventures?

Slightly off topic, but when you go snorkling, doesn't that fry your alternator? Do you all relocate your alternators, carry a spare, or head for the autoparts after your diving adventures?

I put my alternator in a dry suit.

Free flowing water should not affect alternator. Your alternator will fry if you get mud into it. Your other issue is distributor cap: you should seal that off if you do water fording.

Whats a drysuit for your alternator? And how would you best seal up your distributor.

A joke. I guess I'm the only SCUBA diver in the thread.

I've run a few air cooled buggies. The distributor is easy, as winterbeater wrote. Just use dielectric grease and a vent along with good wires w/ more grease on those connections and your good to go.
I'm more concerned about the alternator, fuse block, other relays and ECU...

Back