• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home Fabbed Bumpers Q?

SgtJCJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been beaten around a lot, but I have a question.
Is there a reason that people make the bumpers vertical on the face (both front and rear)? I was kickin around the idea of fabbin some up for myself and was thinking of the approach/departure angles and angling them back a few degrees. Thoughts?

I am having an angle on mine. The people you are talking about probably do it because it's a little easier as they are just buying something like 2x4 or 2x5 box steel and then tapering the ends. I am building mine out of a sheet of 3/16" steel. I'm cutting out the flat parts and then welding them together so I can create more angles and whatnot. Each to his own.

i built mine straight due to the material (c-channel) i would like to have made it at an angle but i dont think it would have worked, or it would have been more complicated than it was worth

Mine are straight because its easier to put the High lift on a square bumper than it is to hook it on an angle...
Safety first.
jeepin-018.jpg

muduck18 said:
Mine are straight because its easier to put the High lift on a square bumper than it is to hook it on an angle...
Safety first.

Another benefit of having rock rails! You just jack it up from the side.

My 60" Hi-lift wont even get the tires off the ground,but thats what the receiver and shackle boxes are for! Im for all the approach angle you can get.
My non-winch 2000...
bump12.jpg

My son's Toyota...
bumper1.jpg

My "in progress" winch bumper for my 95...
wb23.jpg

RCP Phx said:
My 60" Hi-lift wont even get the tires off the ground,but thats what the receiver and shackle boxes are for! Im for all the approach angle you can get.
My non-winch 2000...

My "in progress" winch bumper for my 95...
wb23.jpg

Yeah, that's the problem with the hi-lift....I need to get those limiting straps for the suspension. Your winch bumper looks good. Do you have a full pic?

RCP Phx said:
My non-winch 2000...
Do you have a custom rear bumper on the cherokee? how 'bout a pic of that? Thanks

It was easy to make it flat, I just welded box tubing between two plates. I did however make it sit as high and tight as I could, so my approach angle is at least a little better than stock.

BruceB83 said:
Yeah, that's the problem with the hi-lift....I need to get those limiting straps for the suspension. Your winch bumper looks good. Do you have a full pic?
More pics at...
http://hometown.aol.com/rpayne9421/page9.html
SgtJCJ said:
Do you have a custom rear bumper on the cherokee? how 'bout a pic of that? Thanks
The only taper back there but not shown,the skid plate is part of the bumper/mounting.
rear%20bump1.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

Mine arent just flat plate. I think people do it because its ez'er to bolt a piece of rectangle tube to the front of a Jeep than it is to really work at making a nice bumper. Its speed, cost, and skill level.

I have some verticle face, then the angle peice under it. i wanted the verticle so that it would have a bit of thickness to the bumper itself. I dont think i lost much aproach angle over all, the crossmember hangs down below still. I like the way it turned out. I guess i would do a bit different if i did it again, but thats the way it happens.

Back