• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Holy crap, it's gigantic!! Part II (with semi-big pics)

hey ary is that a warn front bumper? i want one like that (minus the brush guard, i dont hit cows or trees:D)

Kris

ladywolf said:
hey ary is that a warn front bumper? i want one like that (minus the brush guard, i dont hit cows or trees:D)

Kris

ARB bullbar, never hit a cow, but hit a few trees and it definately helps.

Ary

P.S. For the tree-huggers, they were MY trees on private property so don't give me any of this: :nono: :D

GSequoia said:

thefinger.gif

Carpenter said:
I spy something missing in that front end.

Crash has some good ideas about the trackbar mount. It will see alot more stress then you might realize.

Damn, good eyes, i was wondering if there was anyway of knowing they weren't in there yet. Just gotta put u-joints in them and slide 'em in.

Where did you see Crash's ideas? Did I miss something?

Ary

Safari Ary said:
Damn, good eyes, i was wondering if there was anyway of knowing they weren't in there yet. Just gotta put u-joints in them and slide 'em in.

Where did you see Crash's ideas? Did I miss something?

Ary

My ideas boil down to this: however much stress you think the mount will see, mentally triple it and build accordingly.

Can you do any bracing on the back side of the mount? Looks like it's pretty clear back there....

CRASH

Yup, I can brace it front and rear, the front is slightly limited due to tie-rod interference, but it shouldn't really be a problem. I'll post up in mod-tech when I've made some progress. I built a mount for a friend and I wish I'd just made mine the way I made his, because his is incredibly stout. I'll see if I can't get some pics of his to show you what I did there.

Ary

What about something like this, with similar bracing on the backside?

UCA%20mount%20with%20gussets.JPG

Yes, that's what I'm talking about.

To the garage with you......

CRASH

Safari Ary said:
What about something like this, with similar bracing on the backside?

UCA%20mount%20with%20gussets.JPG

Will your drag link travel through that area in articulation? I had interference with my track bar mount in the area you are proposing reinforcement in.

Also consider where your sway bar mounts will live. I had problems with mine when I did my set up- driven by where my trackbar mount was. If I had planned the two together there would not have been a problem.

Johann said:
Will your drag link travel through that area in articulation? I had interference with my track bar mount in the area you are proposing reinforcement in.

Also consider where your sway bar mounts will live. I had problems with mine when I did my set up- driven by where my trackbar mount was. If I had planned the two together there would not have been a problem.

At the moment I have no plans for a swaybar. The draglink will not travel through that area because it goes to a hy-steer arm even with the top of the TB mount. There may be some tie-rod interference, but I will deal with that as I go. Thanks

Ary

CRASH said:
Yes, that's what I'm talking about.

To the garage with you......

CRASH
There you go taking credit for my crap again. First it was the long arms than tail lights & now this. Get off my coat tails dude, be a man, & wheel swamp lake.

Ary, the last pic above shows exactly what I was talking about. What you have built needs structure rather than gurth. The 3/8" plate is way overkill, but will still bend from the back side without support. IMO you would have been better off using 3/16" or 1/4" tube for the entire mount rather than the plate. You're in construction right? Think of a house or building. What you have right now is one wall of a house, but instead of using 2x4's you used 2x8's. One wall is weak & flimsy no matter how thick you make it until it's attached to the others walls. Build a house.
Matt

FarmerMatt said:
There you go taking credit for my crap again. First it was the long arms than tail lights & now this. Get off my coat tails dude, be a man, & wheel swamp lake.

Ary, the last pic above shows exactly what I was talking about. What you have built needs structure rather than gurth. The 3/8" plate is way overkill, but will still bend from the back side without support. IMO you would have been better off using 3/16" or 1/4" tube for the entire mount rather than the plate. You're in construction right? Think of a house or building. What you have right now is one wall of a house, but instead of using 2x4's you used 2x8's. One wall is weak & flimsy no matter how thick you make it until it's attached to the others walls. Build a house.
Matt

I know 3/8's is overkill, but it's all I had, so who cares right? I see what you're saying about the walls thing. I had looked at it as a side to side versus front to back force thing, and hadn't taken into account the fact that the mount could bend back. By building walls like you said I can eliminate the possibility of twisting. Thanks

Ary

There you go taking credit for my crap again.

Trust me, the last thing I would EVER do is take "credit" for the crap that comes out of the farm.

CRASH

Back