• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HO in Renix Question

Well after doing some searching I've come to the conclusion that I need a new distributor gear. Pulled mine out and it had some wear on it and apparently it shouldn't have the slack in it. It was the distributor that was in the renix motor. I still have the H.O. distributor, can you pull the cam sensor out of the renix distributor and put it in the H.O. distributor?Anybody know where I can get a bronze gear? Are they really that much better? Thanks for all the help.

Yes, you need to bronze gear. It's not that it's better, but that you have a roller cam, and it is needed to avoid wearing out the camshaft gear, which is harder and more expensive to replace.

Yes, you need to bronze gear. It's not that it's better, but that you have a roller cam, and it is needed to avoid wearing out the camshaft gear, which is harder and more expensive to replace.

I've taken apart and built a few HO motors from 91 to 95 and never encountered a roller cam or a bronze gear.

To the OP, how about getting a rebuilt dizzy for about $80?

Well, since I have some back and forth play in the rotor pushed it all the way to right (but not up and right) and set the index on the distributor. Its starting and running good but has a little fluctuation in the idle when I come off the throttle but not to bad, just not as smooth as it probably should be. MPG has been good has good power. I'll pick a new dizzy and put it in and see if I get further improvement. Thanks for all the help hopefuly this post well help those with worn distributor gears in the future.

what injectors are you running? now this is a guess, but my last impreza had a different motor using the old wiring and ecu and did the same thing. and it was because the new injectors were bigger then the old ones. thus it getting too much fuel hesitating and coughing. one is stuck the old injectors in.

its just a thought, i dont know if renix injectors are bigger then HO. hell they could even be smaller.

Well got a new distributor to put in and the gears on the older one were even worse, nearly gone, probably wouldn't have lasted a day. The new distributor definately works better. But I'm afraid that I might have some "Cam Walk". I read a post that if you have over 58lbs of oil pressure your cam will move forward and eat the gears up. I have a HV oil pump and I'm running about 58lbs at cold start up at idle and about 45lbs warm idle. Its about 60lbs at cruising speed give or take 5lbs. I'm running 5-30 and I'm not sure about running a different weight. Does anybody have suggestions about cam walk? Can I change the spring on the cam button? Or do I need to change my oil pump? Oh and I'm running renix injectors but thinking about trying the HO ones just see how it will run. Seems I'm still lacking in power at cruising speed and using A/C.

Well got a new distributor to put in and the gears on the older one were even worse, nearly gone, probably wouldn't have lasted a day. The new distributor definately works better. But I'm afraid that I might have some "Cam Walk". I read a post that if you have over 58lbs of oil pressure your cam will move forward and eat the gears up. I have a HV oil pump and I'm running about 58lbs at cold start up at idle and about 45lbs warm idle. Its about 60lbs at cruising speed give or take 5lbs. I'm running 5-30 and I'm not sure about running a different weight. Does anybody have suggestions about cam walk? Can I change the spring on the cam button? Or do I need to change my oil pump? Oh and I'm running renix injectors but thinking about trying the HO ones just see how it will run. Seems I'm still lacking in power at cruising speed and using A/C.

my cam gear and dizzy gear got destroyed in my renix motor because the oil pump was going out chewed the gears flat on both gears friend i bought the jeep from said he put a "high flow oil pump" in it and my oil pressure was about the same as what you say you have.

Back