• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HO head onto Renix XJ?

obaa-xj

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to swap an HO head onto a Renix motor, keeping all the Renix injection and ancillaries?

I have a '90 4.0 with a Borla header which I would really like to keep. I'd like to swap on an HO head. From what I was able to find, it looks like the Renix intake and exhaust will be able to bolt onto an early HO head with some filing of the locating dowels. According to Borla, the header should fit from '87-'92, which makes it sound like a 7120 head should work. However, I thought the 7120 was used from '91-'95, not just '91-'92; maybe there's something else that changed?
I thought the 0630 was interchangeable with the 7120 as well. Would that head work in this case?

Should work, would be best to port match the HO head. But it has been done.

Is it possible to swap an HO head onto a Renix motor, keeping all the Renix injection and ancillaries?

I have a '90 4.0 with a Borla header which I would really like to keep. I'd like to swap on an HO head. From what I was able to find, it looks like the Renix intake and exhaust will be able to bolt onto an early HO head with some filing of the locating dowels. According to Borla, the header should fit from '87-'92, which makes it sound like a 7120 head should work. However, I thought the 7120 was used from '91-'95, not just '91-'92; maybe there's something else that changed?
I thought the 0630 was interchangeable with the 7120 as well. Would that head work in this case?

Done it twice and about to do it again. Be sure to use the Renix intake/exhaust gasket. The HO intake ports will have about a 1/4" higher floor than the Renix head did.

Don't file the dowels. You might need to file the rearmost portion of the intake manifold where it's close to #6 exhaust runner.

I used an HO head but also added a 99+ intake, throttle body and fuel rail. I had to modify things but for the most part everything will bolt together.

Back