• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hmmmm, what to do?

Hmmmm, why to do?

• Total voters
The broken ones I heard about were the cheap gear maker. I forget the name. So it was no surprise there. Gunion maybe? Do they make a set? I have forgoten it was a few years ago.

I have the Nitro brand. Sorry for the hyjack, back to topic!

The 8.8 is a good axle, no question, but the 8.25 and D-44 can handle a bunch of abuse. As far as the lip on a 8.25, just shave it off! And if you raise the shock mounts then you will just slide right over stuff.

15.jpg

I have been around enough Fords mudding in Florida and in other high stress areas to know to stay away from the 8.8. Don't believe me ask Lennie! .

ok your point here is its a junk axle.....

Ghost; said:
If it were me building an xj for dd and trail use I would chose the D44 or 8.25 over all the work that has to be done to get the 8.8 in an xj. Maybe you guys do not understand and maybe that is a little easyer to digest. I guess my point got lost in all this dribble

im not so sure your point got lost, if your going to argue with me at least keep the same story.... as far as the pull apart the going rate from a private seller is around 225-300 still cheaper than what most people think an xj44 is worth. and as far as all the work spring perches, shock mounts, cut and flare some brakelines and picking up a pinion flange adapter? as far as axle swaps go its pretty simple and worth the litle bit of work IMO. ok im done here:conceited

ok your point here is its a junk axle.....
No, that is your initerpertation of my words.

im not so sure your point got lost, if your going to argue with me at least keep the same story.... as far as the pull apart the going rate from a private seller is around 225-300 still cheaper than what most people think an xj44 is worth. and as far as all the work spring perches, shock mounts, cut and flare some brakelines and picking up a pinion flange adapter? as far as axle swaps go its pretty simple and worth the litle bit of work IMO. ok im done here:conceited

Yes, bolt in versus setting all that up IMHO is WAY easyer.

Last edited:
The 8.8 isn't really that expensive and they are plentiful for spare shafts, brakes, etc.

I can buy an 8.8 for $250 if I only want to drive 15 minutes and they will have it pulled and ready. Or I can drive 1 hour to Nashville to Pull-A-Part and get one for $140. There is no shortage of this axle anywhere. If I want the untimate in strength, I can get a Super 8.8 that would give me alloys and eliminate the c-clips.

8.25 axles are harder to find in the JY since most around me don't have anything newer than the '96 Cherokees - most older than that. You can find them for sale periodically in the SEC classifieds. I can upgrade to alloys but they would still retain the c-clip.

I think this has been interesting. I figured this discussion would have had a clear winner but you guys have brought out a lot of good points for all axle options.

I was going to put an 8.8 on my xj...but when I asked around everyone said wheel spacers won't pass state inspection(Va) and if I ever needed to have any tire rotations and balancing...here in Va they won't touch my jeep. I figured my drums stop well enough and if you put alloy's in you can run 35's so 33's like I run on my DD are fine. ARB's and gears are my next upgrades.

I was going to put an 8.8 on my xj...but when I asked around everyone said wheel spacers won't pass state inspection(Va) and if I ever needed to have any tire rotations and balancing...here in Va they won't touch my jeep. I figured my drums stop well enough and if you put alloy's in you can run 35's so 33's like I run on my DD are fine. ARB's and gears are my next upgrades.

Your in the wrong part of VA, NOVA and east coast are like Cali, too many libs. I ran spacers for 2 years with no issues passing inspection. We do things a little different here in the mountains:D I agree with you on drums, My 96 stops 35's easily.

Why do you need wheel spacers?

its only a little bit shorter per side, like 3/4 of an inch. i still havent put my spacers on...just been lazy. I run them in the front thou to clear my long arms, so i want it even front/rear.

if you put alloy's in you can run 35's so 33's like I run on my DD are fine.
are you saying you cant run 35s on stock shafts?

At what point did I say everyone had to be on 60's and 42's? I have seen enough broken 8.8's that I do not recomend them especially over an axle that can be found for reasonable $$$$ that is non c-clip. I have watched a previous owner beat on a 8.25 with the 27 spline shafts on 35's and a welded diff at tellico for 3 days straight and not break a thing. Nothing is bomb proof, you can put any axle in a situation where it will break. Out of curiosity what gears are in the truck and what gears are in the car? Is the car locked or limited slip? What about the truck?

I was messin with ya about the 60's and 42s... and you are right, anything i breakable. I just don't like the C8.25. Prices for upgrades are twice as much as an 8.8, and the 8.8 is just an overall better axle. I have explained why already so I won't go there again. The Car has a Ford Racing 3.73 Gear with an Auburn Pro series posi. However, it is honestly as aggressive as a locker, it will slip a little in turns, but it will NEVER EVER spin just one tire. I have tried. It also has 31 spline Moser shafts in it, but the housing isn't welded (although I feel it should be in a car like mine). The truck has 4.56 Genuine gears and ARBs with stock explorer shafts and 35's. Both are still C-Clip.

Back