• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hiking shoes

bringing this back to the top.

it is an old thread so i figured i would ask for new advice.

i am looking to get some hiking shoes or boots for my trip to the four corners area. i am looking for something lightweight and comfortable.

do you guys have any suggestions of any i should look into?

Ive been rocking my Merrell Chameleon3 Ventilator Mids for a few months and love them.

ill have to try some of those on. i didnt want to have to spend that much on shoes, but if i want a good pair i think im going to have to suck it up. damn things never go on sale.

I just bought some Merrell's this weekend. Found this pair for 50% off. couldnt pass it up. they are breathable and comfy

I bought a pair of leather hiking boots from REI back in the day, think they were One Sport brand. Most comfortable boot i ever owned.

My Vasque were nice boots too.

bringing this back to the top.

it is an old thread so i figured i would ask for new advice.

i am looking to get some hiking shoes or boots for my trip to the four corners area. i am looking for something lightweight and comfortable.

do you guys have any suggestions of any i should look into?
I highly recommend a good leather hiking shoe- not a boot. Something that looks like a sneaker but made of sturdy leather with a stiff sole. The lack of ankle support is an advantage for rock scrambling. Don't bother looking for anything waterproof either. A waterproof lowtop shoe is like a submarine with a screen door.
orig.jpg

For hikes in the water, either use Tevas or similar all-terrain sandals or trail running shoes. The ones with mesh uppers and speed laces weigh next to nothing, are cool in hot weather, let dry sand through like you are wearing nothing, are incredibly expensive (look for them on the clearance rack), fall apart after a few good trips, soak your feet immediately when walking through water and dry out almost as fast. Wear socks made of anything other than cotton. Yes, that makes them sound like they suck but I could not imagine going on a jeep trip without 'em, especially in the summertime.

Boots are for backpackers- not jeepers.

I chose mids because of the ankle support as i use to roll my ankle quite often with my sneakers but hiking with my mids i have yet to hurt my ankle. The added support is well worth it IMO. And if the side support is inhibiting you you can always tie your boot lower for more flexibility.

Asolo

OM3101_555_p.jpg

I've been really happy with these boots. Not too heavy, but lots of support, water proof (really great in the snow) and very comfortable. For those who never saw the pics, Can Man's last attempt at water proofing for a snow run were plastic bags inside of his tennis shoes. :D

-----Matt-----

I bought a pair of those from REI a year or two ago and was pretty pleased. I am extremely picky when it comes to footware, even more so when it comes to hiking boots. I can't remember what series they were, but I really liked the features they offered. I would def. recommend getting a pair of "super feet" or whatever to go with them. They are kind of like the Dr. Scholls "gellin" things, but better. I think i paid around $360 for everything, but they are worth it if you do a lot of hiking and rough terrain walking.

http://www.rei.com/product/757555

I have had those Merrells for 5 years now, and they are still in perfect condition. I do a substantial amount of hiking every year, plus almost constant wear for 3 of those years during the winter in Boone NC, and any rainy day.

I am in NC, so waterproofing and traction in wet conditions are a must, so I can't even consider anything less. If you have decided on a waterproof mid boot, I stand behind this pair of Merrells. Oh yeah, unbelievably comfortable as well.

Back