• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hight altitude CPS??

that must be the grommet they refer to.
part no. 83100068
listed for '89 4.0 Cherokee/Laredo.
I'm sure that's my problem. Well maybe not sure. But if I only would have started it up b4 changing the CPSs! No reason to. I must have gotten lucky in the past few weeks the trouble I've had with CPS...

Last edited:
and i did find a part no.
1987 high altitude crank sensor - 53003659
don't know about a grommet for that one, only if it's notched????

Renix Crank Position Sensor Part Numbers:

Standard Ignition Parts
PC87 Standard
PC307 High Altitude

Niehoff
SN4118 High Altitude
WA1611 Standard

Wells
SU3015 Standard
SU3014 High Altitude

Hope this helps !

Last edited:
On the CPS bracket itself I meant. Some say elongate the mounting holes in the bracket...I chose to move the actual bracket within the sensor itself. I moved it over to the passenger side 2 notch holes. Let me tell ya, it really takes advantage of that 93 octane now!!

Now that I think about it, there's really no reason you couldn't do this on the H.O. CPS. The only difference is the 2-3 wire pigtail as the sensor mounts the same on the trans. Premium fuel would obviously be required.

The Renix has a knock sensor, so us'ns don't always bother with high octane.

The computer will put in the max advance it can, in any case, but the Hi alt cps gives it an earlier signal to take advantage of even more. I like the thinking that all one might have to do is move the sensor on the bracket - that's about all the hi alt does anyway - and I'm glad to hear it worked!

Of course, nobody's mentioned how easy it it to get to . . .

cygnus58 said:
I have two other thread going, all related.
Long story short -
Went to store. Dumped cheap injector cleaner in full tank.
waited 30 minutes to install less-used CPS to repair high rpm power loss.
Engine would hardly run at all.
Replaced with "working" CPS.
no fix.
Changed fuel filter.
no fix.
stumped.
Running so far off spec, Cat is glowing.
Bad.
Any results?
Bad CAT?
Leaky injector/stuck open?

I just had this happen today. 3k+ RPM feels like not enough air or fuel or clog
CPS 2yrs old
CAT 1yr old (Rocks gave a little love today(Strawberry Trail) but looks like only heat shield effected
I have a replacement for fuel pump (getting louder, no fuel pressure tester,yet)
TPS recently checked out ok but am going to test again

Back