• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Miler XJ legends?

ogilviexj said:
Im at 370K on my 91 original engine. 5spd works great, 4x4 works great, its just got some grumpy old man problems, but not much.

we are speaking miles not Kilometers :D

Mine is at 338,056 miles right now. It's just had regular maintenance and never needed any major powertrain repairs (never even been opened to my knowledge). The engine makes some knocks on startup but it runs smooth once the oil pump gets lubricant into the valve covers. I drive it around town and out-of-state, and wheel it some too. It does not have any burning or oil consumption problems when I use a quart of 20w/50 as a thickener.

The AW4 has no real problems except for not wanting to get up and go on cold mornings (worn seals), and a too-fast shift out of 3rd into overdrive. I just had the filter changed last week and the tranny shop said the pan was clean.

Lots of accessories have failed... stuff like starters and NSS. My problems at the moment are an exhaust manifold leak and an A/C leak. The biggest overall problem is that the bolts are corroded so some parts can't be removed without breaking the hardware. I'm going to do a complete engine swap in a couple of months, just to start fresh.

Last edited:
I swapped out an AW4 that someone attempted to rebuild in my '92 for the original AW4 out of my '91 with 240k. I had never changed the fluid since I had owned it in the '91 (about 2 years, bought it with brown fluid).

Drained the pan, refilled, repeat about 2 times so far and the thing shifts like a dream.

I love XJs :D

Bought an 2wd '87 with over 300,000mi on the odo, but the odo had stopped working. I had been seeing this jeep pass around locally from owner to owner my whole life. When i bought it, there were literally chunks in the oil. The engine had caught on fire at one point (my guess would be from oil on the exhaust- as everything was covered in the stuff) and all necessary suff that was melted had been replaced with parts good enough to make it run. Everything else was just blocked off. The track lock in the D44 was eating itself and part of the centersection as well. There were holes rusted in the floor big enough to throw a cat through. The AW4 worked great, and even ended up in a ZJ for a while. In fact parts from this Jeep eventually ended up in a lot of Jeeps.

my first xj had 255 on it when it went to the JY, wasn't even a motor issue. Wishing I didn't get rid of it now, it's problems weren't as bad as I thought at the time ; ;

A couple of months ago, a good friend gave me his 1996 XJ Sport with 225,035 miles.
It needed an exhaust manifold and complete front brake replacement (rotors, calipers, pads, fluid)
It is a rust bucket, so I'll be replacing a lot of the floor pan steel.
The drive train is orignal, only parts replaced before I got it, were the water pump and spark plugs.
He maintained it at the dealer and Jiffy lube.
He got the basic requirements taken care of over it's long life.
It doesn't burn oil, there is some piston slap when cold, but the engine pulls strong, the trans shifts well, and the Command trac works.

I always wanted a Jeep.:loveu:

I'm happy.
I got a project car for free. I'll put in a couple hundred in parts, alot of elbow grease and drive it as my winter car for a couple of years.

My 92 has 240k on it. And since I've owned it its been running 33s and has been rolled. I drive it very hard. and it runs like a champ.

Only thing i've actually replace was the starter, and when i pulled it it wqs the factory starter chrysler put in it back in 92.

1992 5 speed 330K miles

southern XJ in New England not a spot of rust but extreme clear coat peal.

Bought for $300.00 replace the p/u in the distributor and drove it home.

3" w/ 31 for the past 10K

Only money I've put into it is the $300.00 for the lift and tires.

Major work done before I bought it:

1 transfer cases

1 clutch

Replacing the Radiator for the first time this weekend along with the Clutch Fan. Original Head Gasket and Water Pump.

Mike
Methuen, MA

eh well thought id add mine to the list. Only reason the tranny blew is b/c I got water in it... but was running strong until then.. As of Oct 08 had 363K on the original motor and tranny...

my 99 has 211000 I bought it with a bad motor and swapped in a used ZJ 4.0 with around 200000 on it. Only thing I have done to it beyond that is a used A/C compressor and an alternator. It even has a 7 year old Orbital battery in it. I have a 98 4.0 in the shop for it just need to regasket it and put it in some weekend it only has 113000 on it. The other motor is starting to make some noises. I swapping in some axles out a 94 2.5 with 4.10s a d30 and a 8.25. The donor XJ had 245000 on it. Everything else still works great.

ok, so i dont have one with 300k, but i do have one with 214k no doors pretty much trail only and one with with 186k daily driver 5 speed, the one with 214k only replaced a head gasket, my daly driver nothing crazy except for maybe a oil pan gasket i replaced, both with 6in and 33's

well my 88 is prolly the shortest run in the lot, my dad got it from the original owner whos kid tried to do up the interior...fail... my dad drove it for like 10yrs, then he gave it to me. its my family car with nearly 200K on the ticker. she still pulls hard, tows damn near anything and looks good too. in fact her demise will be cancer(rust) if i dont replace the metal in a few spots.

I'm at 334,000 miles on an original engine, with no engine work!! She's strating to give up the ghost, so I'm looking to swp in a Jasper engine......

I just stripped out my 90 with 265k miles, it was really rough and I bought it for parts. only ever had ujoints and waterpump replaced.

my 87 comanche had 187k on it before a complete overhaul. it was rust free short bed and now has less than 6k on all of the parts in it.

my 86 comanche 2.1 liter turbo diesel is right around 270k

and I had a 2.8 liter v6 5speed that lasted 215k

I didn't drive any of these vehicles since new, but I put a decent amount of miles on them

Back