• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High altitude, and I can't stop overheating at speed!

also, perhaps prior owner did it and was not aware. xj an Tj's have water pump that spins in different directions. if prior owner did it and you did same as he did, you could have wrong waterpump going in wrong direction.the direction and impeller are different.
have you tried hood on vs hood off?
maybe a scoop can let air in to cool and heat out better?
02 sensor? could be telling comp to run lean? Old Man is right, an analyzer can tell you what it is doing.fuel pressure regulator may contribute to less fuel and the possible lean condition. weak fuel pump too. easy to check with fuel pressure gauge .
Not true. XJs and TJs use exactly the same water pump.

The difference lies with v-belt and serpentine belt driven pumps. Very early YJ's with the 4.2 had v-belt driven accessories. The 4.2 pump and the 4.0 pump look the same and will mount to either engine, however it's very rare these days to get the wrong pump.

thanks digger i had heard that and was not sure how much it could be of an issue . more "folklore" assumed to be fact.

on the upside i saw a nice scoop on an XJ today at Pollard's trail Jeeps get together.
IMG_0261_zps12f2fb66.jpg

do you think for heat would wrapping the exhaust tubes by the engine and trans be of any benefit? keep the heat from the exhaust from radiating onto the transmission and oil pan. i dunno, maybe in situations like a hot running engine you cant cool maybe every option should be considered.maybe i should make a XJ hood like that on fiberglass or carbon fiber? i have plans on making auto panels. trying to decide what my first hood panel should be. i like the subi scoop and oddly enuff the old early 80's Mustang one too. pushing that heat down and out the bottom might help a hot motor. or go sell the rig in alaska LOL

I certainly will. I've spent enough time and money researching and working on this, that I wouldn't want someone else to go through it without easily finding a solution.

UPDATE: IT'S FIXED!!!

Thanks to Bad Luck for sending me a link to this thread. Same problem as me - overheating for 3 years, even with aftermarket radiators.

The fix is to get rid of the aftermarket radiator. They suck. I installed a Mopar radiator (Part 05191929AA - $150ish) and my problem is fixed. Today I drove home with the A/C on and had absolutely no trouble. Normally I'd be in the red, driving with the windows open and the heater on full blast.

So there you have it... cheapo plastic-tank MOPAR radiator > 2-row full aluminum aftermarket radiator.

So what everyone's saying is I should be happy mine creeps only a little bit above running temperature under heavy loads and slow wheeling?

I've tried several things to keep it at running temperature as well.. Coolant flush, water pump, thermostat, oil viscosity, keeping the front end clear of debris...

Still creeps to the first mark after running temperature. Doesn't matter if I'm pulling the motorcycle trailer or not. Just gets hot @ altitude going up hill. I need to install my hood vents too. Thinking about installing them backwards so they force air in.

If it gets to the first mark (the one that's near the red) I'd say that's probably a little hot. Halfway to the mark is normal-ish if it's under extreme conditions.

You may consider replacing your fan clutch if it's bothering you. It's perhaps the most common reason for the engines to run hot. And ensure that the aux fan actually turns on when it's real hot, or the A/C is on.

Obviously, replacing the radiator with a genuine MOPAR fixed my own problems, but that's the last course of action to take since it's also more expensive.

If you have the stock rad with the plastic side tanks, you should make sure your motor mounts are in good shape.If your motor mounts are bad this will keep pulling up and down on the hoses a help break the tanks. I went after market to fix this problem.

Glad to hear you got it fixed.Now you can ENJOY your jeep again.

Back