• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HF 1 ton or 2 ton cherry picker

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Last edited:
I have the 2 ton and have used it for probably 10 years with no problems.

I've got the 2 ton one. It's been fine for me, moved axles around with it, pulled the 350/350 setup out of my 71 Chevy, pulled the LS setup out of another truck.

I got their leveler at the same time. It's come in handy when I've been solo.

I've got a 2 Ton one and have had it for close to 20 years, it sits outside and has always worked, ram still hasn't leaked. Last time I used it was yesterday.

I have the 1ton it definitely struggles with the 4.0 but it works. I'd buy the 2 ton if I had to make the choice again.
also second on the load leveler design could of been better but it's still very helpful.

I ended up getting the 2 ton one. It was on sale, and then a 20% off coupon, then 60$ in HF gift cards and it was like 140$ out the door after tax. Already used to move a motor around and also lift the back of the jeep to fill shocks with No2 . So far, its been great for the price.

My load leveler mod: the end opposite the handle has a nut with a cotter pin. Pull the pin and weld the nut to the shaft. Then cut the handle off to keep it out of the way. I use my electric impact on the nut to run out back and forth. Thousand times easier than using the crappy handle.

When it comes to HF stuff. Get the most heavy duty ones you can get. It will only be slightly less heavy duty than the lightest duty one you will buy anywhere else.

I have the 2 ton one and it's worked ok but I need a new ram for it. Its leaked around the seals since the day I bought it.

I see the HF 1 ton cherry picker is only 149$ with coupon, but is it too damn junky to pull a 4.0 and therefore just spend the extra 70$ and buy the 220$ 2 ton one?
found 2 ton coupon too
http://widgets.harborfreight.com/ws...utm_source=1011&cid=mEmail_s1011_c2714a QUOTE]

I have used a HF 1-ton lift for a couple years, pulling 4 engines and a of couple heads with it. It will lift a fully loaded engine just fine, at full extension, without feeling unstable or overloaded.

I considered the 2-ton lift but after seeing how big it was folded up for storage, knew it wouldn't fit in the garage. If you have the room, the 2-ton is a good choice.
Also bought two HB 1000-lbs engine stands, one for a new one engine and the other for the old engine, useful when swapping the manifolds and accessories.
Can't beat the prices, using the coupons.

Ya I plan to grab a 1000 lb stand. 2 is a good idea

Glad to hear you went with the 2 ton. My 1 ton HF was decent when i got it a couple years back but has since started failing.

Also look over the stand pretty well before you decide to go with it(i havent looked at the HF one myself). i made the dumb decision of buying a 1000 pound one from JEGS and it barely holds the 4.0. had to put a board across the front legs and use a bottle jack to hold the motor level as otherwise it looks like it would would fall off. replaced all the fasteners with the best i could find at fastenal too.

The 2 ton is amazing . i use it all thentime too

1 ton works but I wish I got the 2.
It slowly leaks down.

1 ton works but I wish I got the 2.
I have a 1-ton and it works fine for engine only R&Rs.
Passed on the 2-ton only because it takes more storage room than what I had available. It is quite a bit bigger than the 1-ton, when folded up.

I do like having a way to pick up heavy objects, besides engines.

I'm not sure if the 2 ton would leak down as much. While I was working my motor in (no trans) I'd have to pump it a couple times a minute. 2 ton would be better for reach too since the arm can be extended more.

I'm not sure if the 2 ton would leak down as much. While I was working my motor in (no trans) I'd have to pump it a couple times a minute. 2 ton would be better for reach too since the arm can be extended more.

My HF 1-ton lift will hold an engine at the same height for hours, zero leaks.
If the hydraulic ram leaks at all, it is defective and need repair or replacement. Leaks are not normal for any lift.
Don't risk you life.

I've changed the same engine on the same jeep with both the 1 ton and the 2 ton.

The 2 ton was WAY more stable, I'd never use the 1 ton again.

I have the 2 ton and it pulled a 5.3/4l60e and the transfer case out in one shot. We missed a bolt and it started unloading the front suspension too, so it could handle more weight than that, and it was totally stable the whole time.

Another vote for the 2T, used it to pull a 5.9/46RE out of one of my ZJ's, a 4.6 out of a Crown Vic, and a 2.3T/T5 out of a Thunderbird. No issues at all, which is good considering it spends most of its time being stored outdoors.

Back