• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hey guys i have a problem! cant shift ( 5speed )

the jeep has 88K and the clutch and stuff was replaced in 06 or 13K ago according too the last owner. i have the paper work. and i've owned it for 3 weeks. ok guys how do i check the fluid level and all that

and where is the slave cyl/ master exactly for me too check for leaks. ( my first 5sp ha )

the jeep has 88K and the clutch and stuff was replaced in 06 or 13K ago according too the last owner. i have the paper work. and i've owned it for 3 weeks. ok guys how do i check the fluid level and all that

and where is the slave cyl/ master exactly for me too check for leaks. ( my first 5sp ha )
the master should be by the firewall on drives side

The master is on the drivers side of the firewall, right next to the brake M/C.

The slave is on the bellhousing. If you have a black plastic cyl. protruding from the bellhousing on the drivers side its an external slave. If there is a line going in, with another coming out, with a brake bleeder on the end you have an internal slave (awesome run-on sentence btw). The clutch takes brake fluid.

To check the trans, spray the upper hole with penetrating lube, then open it up. (24mm iirc). Stick your finger in there and feel around for fluid.

Last time the trans fluid was changed? When I got mine, the P.O had put gear oil in there, and it was tough to shift into first. Replaced it with some MTL 90, and a bottle of friction modifier, and it shifts like a dream.

As far as filling the trans, I made a beer bong type contraption, hung it on the windowsill, and filled the trans that way. Another member on here suggested removing the shift tower, and filling it through there. I think I will try that route next time.

Note that while the master is mounted in the engine compartment, leaks usually occur inside the cabin where the pushrod comes through the firewall. This is just above the fuse block and many a fuse and the block itself has been ruined by fluid drips. I know -- I lost track of the number of masters I replaced through the years on my '85.

And don't assume that the master cylinder is good just because it has only 13K miles on it. Often with the junk they sell now for these units, you will be lucky to get even that mileage. Of course, the master may not be your problem, but if so, you might look into a Howe (I believe) replacement described by old_man in various write-ups.

well i checked clutch fluid just now and i's full but guessi have too check the trans. it got worse today went too downshift on the highway and couldnt get it into ANY gear and had too pull over on the highway. it's just difficult too get into gear and kinda have too jam it in and kinda grinds going into second. anyways it's parked in my driveway now..

how much would a new master or slave cylinder be?

heres some pics of my trans if it helps:

IMG_3076.jpg

IMG_3077.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg

Last edited:
Check to see if the clutch pedal is bent are welds is cracked. If this is the case it will not fully engage the slave cylinder causing hard shifts while the engine is running.

It also looks like you have an internal slave cylinder so you will have to pull the transmission to replace it if it is broken.

Lance.

alright thanks man. and yeah if it helps the peddal does feel pretty soft but i dont know what is normal as my last 5sp. was a mustang.. and sometimes it wont go in at all, some times it's hard too go in and sometimes it's not bad at all and all that can happen within the same 10 min. period of driving...

You could be leaking fluid, letting air into the system. Air compresses, fluid does not--Pascal's Law.

Your MC could be shot, not leaking, simply allowing fluid to "bypass" back into the reservoir.

Your slave could be leaking.

If, when the PO had the clutch done, they removed more than .001~.003" of material from the flywheel the hydraulics may simply be unable to provide enough travel to compensate. See the earlier post about a Howe Performance MC with a larger bore, Old Man's trick.

With a second set of hands (feet), crack the bleed screw on the slave and have the other feet push the clutch pedal to the floor and hold it there. Close the bleed screw. Did you get a good "shot" of fluid? Was there air?

Post up what you find.

Good luck.

alright ill try the bleeding tric. is that the bleeder that i took a pic of on the bottom pic? im tryin too have my mechanic come over and take a look. transmissions and clutches are not my specialty ha.

Last edited:
Yeah, that is the bleeder.

Good luck.

Post up what you find out.

hey guys well it's just been sitting the last couple days because i havent had time too work on it and i went too start it up today and it wants too move in 1st gear with the clutch ON what exactly does this mean and it was doing it a little bit before but i wasent sure but it's gotten a LOT worse from sitting the last few days. does this help determine a cause?

Its past time to pull the transmission and see is going on in there--your clutch is not disengaging and it appears to be getting worse.

While it might be strictly a hydraulic issue, I believe your slave is internal so the trans needs to come out.

Back