• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hesitation when accelerating

gone postal

NAXJA Forum User
'97 Country. 118k miles. Tune-up (SeaFoam, plugs, wires, rotor, cap, O2) at 110k. New APN header, 2 core radiator and '00 intake manifold at 116k.

The issue doesn't happen all the time. Usually not even everyday. When it does happen though, it's definitely noticeable. I'll go to accelerate and it's like it has NO power. It's just extremely sluggish - like it's on two cylinders. It still runs smooth, so I know it's not on two, but it only has the power of maybe two. The hesitation lasts for maybe 5 seconds or so (which seems like forever when you're pulling into traffic!!), but then goes away and usually doesn't happen again for that trip. I haven't noticed a specific pattern to it - ie - A/C on, motor cold, morning or afternoon, etc. It just seems random.

Is this some sort of sensor going out? I've heard that CPS's are common failures and can cause no starts, but if they're just starting to fail can they cause something like this? I do NOT get a CEL.

Please help b/c I'm going to be handing this XJ over to my wife soon as a DD and don't want any issues that could possibly strand her...

** EDIT ** Also, I was/am experiencing very poor fuel mileage even after the tune-up. The stock manifold was cracked, so with that I was seeing around 12.5-13mpg all city and after the '00 IM and new header I am seeing around 14.7 all city. This is on a basically stock XJ (2" BB and 245/75/15 tires). My brother has a '00 w/ 200k on the clock and gets 17mpg all city. I'm not too disappointed w/ the 14.7, but think it could be higher considering all the new parts, all synthetic fluids (tranny, oil, TC, axles, etc), 38psi in the tires, basically stock vehicle and I haven't been leadfooting it. So, not sure if that helps narrow anything down or not?!?

Last edited:
I had a cat. convertor come apart one time and cause similar problems.

Broken pieces roaming around and eventually clogging the tail pipe.

Nick

My 99 has this problem, not everyday, but when it happens its on cold starts and always happens in about the same location...about 100-150 yards down the road from where I am!! Always happens in the same place when leaving my house, or when leaving work.

I changed the TPS and it got better...I thought I fixed it, but alas, it has come back, but not as bad. Before I changed the TPS I was also having jumpy throttle issues, hard to keep a steady throttle at low throttle when in 4low...but not in 2hi. It may be a combo of sensors? Someone in another thread suggested it may be due to the fuel delivery system (no return to the tank) on the 97+ XJs which seems like a likely explanation.

Search, you'll find lots of people with this problem....sorry, I don't have the solution!!!

Check your fuel pump. The rubber hose tends to losen and pull away from the pump slightly, then you dont get all the gas you ordered...... Just fixed on mine. Traced that problem for months. Same thing happened to Mingo.

Back