• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help

skull_black

NAXJA Forum User
I Overheated on the 91 getting towed home
Can you guys tell me what I broke
c2f212ae.jpg

34f43a0a.jpg

d0e5c782.jpg

Just bypass it, they are known for failing just like that. they get brittle and then the pressure from the system makes them fail. I installed one in my jeep and 6 moths later it was leaking.

heater control valve

bypass it or replace it with a metal one. the plastic ones always break, they get brittle pretty quick. If you can wait till saturday and email me while I'm at work ill get you a part number, I have to dig it up in a book.

I am about to bypass that thing on mine too. It will clean up that area of the engine compartment a little bit. I have had 2 of those damn things fail on me. I think they are about $17 or so at Vatozone.

I just broke my heater control valve too. Not wanting to spend $30 on new one, I bypassed the heater core completely. I just looped a hose from the water pump back to the thermostat housing. I figured I won't need heat for several months.

Scotty advised me not to bypass the valve by running the two hoses directly to the heater core. So I'd be interested in a metal valve too Mike, if you can get that part number.

I just broke my heater control valve too. Not wanting to spend $30 on new one, I bypassed the heater core completely. I just looped a hose from the water pump back to the thermostat housing. I figured I won't need heat for several months.

Scotty advised me not to bypass the valve by running the two hoses directly to the heater core. So I'd be interested in a metal valve too Mike, if you can get that part number.
Why not? That's what I was gonna do.

Some people do it. Others don't. If I did it, Scott might disown me. :p

The heater core is not designed to be flowing all the time while the engine is running - if it was it would be that way from the factory. Without the blower running you are creating excess heat in the airbox that has no place to go, I can see it dramatically decreasing the life of your heater core :dunno:

Another disadvantage would be if it were to spring a leak, you would have no way to turn it off without shutting the engine off and bypassing it. I would take it out of the loop rather than just bypassing the valve - but that's just me. make sure you plug the vacuum line that went to the valve.

Back