• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help With Shipping Large Parts

macidgit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Can anyone tell me the best way to ship large parts, like transmissions? I have a quaife-equipped Ford Taurus SHO manual trains I want to ship to a buyer, but I have no idea the best way to go about it. It's clearly not a USPS item. Would I be best to us UPS? Do I need to box it up myself? Is there someone who can do that instead? Can I ship it somehow "unboxed"? I'm a real noob in this arena. Any insight greatly appreciated!!!

Id say your in for a big suprise.Most large items like that need to be shipped via "freight".They usually need to be on pallets and enviromentally safe(when shipping used "oily" items).

www.uship.com like he said most require pallets/drained
When using Uship be sure to look at their cancelations

Last edited:
You want to ship it completely enclosed in a wood box with enough bracing/cushioning material to prevent it from being damaged. You are the owner of the shipment in transit so pack it well. UPS will take a shipment up to 150 lbs. There is a "surcharge for a shipment not completely enclosed in a cardboard box". Over 150 lbs they will ship it UPS Freight.
Rick

You want to ship it completely enclosed in a wood box with enough bracing/cushioning material to prevent it from being damaged. You are the owner of the shipment in transit so pack it well. UPS will take a shipment up to 150 lbs. There is a "surcharge for a shipment not completely enclosed in a cardboard box". Over 150 lbs they will ship it UPS Freight.
Rick

not to mention fine you.

drain it, wrap it in heavy plastic to contain any residual leakage and keep water out, if it has any mounting holes you can use, lag bolt it to the top of a small pallet then build a crate around it. Otherwise strap it to a small pallet and do the same thing.

Expect to pay out the ass for LTL shipping. I think I paid 75 bucks for my 160lb 15kw generator head to be shipped and something like 400 for a pair of pallets of 46" tires (GA to MA, old dominion freight, picked them up at the nearest old dominion freight center. freight weighed 1400lbs plus pallets.)

drain it, wrap it in heavy plastic to contain any residual leakage and keep water out, if it has any mounting holes you can use, lag bolt it to the top of a small pallet then build a crate around it. Otherwise strap it to a small pallet and do the same thing.

Expect to pay out the ass for LTL shipping. I think I paid 75 bucks for my 160lb 15kw generator head to be shipped and something like 400 for a pair of pallets of 46" tires (GA to MA, old dominion freight, picked them up at the nearest old dominion freight center. freight weighed 1400lbs plus pallets.)

thats not too bad... fedex ltl charges us like 2300 but that was 3 pallets under 1500 to NYC...

Back