• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with rig heating up on hills

Norsk62

NAXJA Forum User
I need some advice my fellow XJ owners.

My 93 XJ has been heating up while going up hills and mountain passes and I am worried that sooner or later this is going to damage something. :banghead:

Before all the obvious shout outs start coming in from everywhere, let me tell more about my rig and all that has been done so far.:yap:

My 93 Cherokee has a tick over 220k on it. In that time it has been infrequently driven and regularly maintained. That means regular tune ups, fluid changes, flushes, and part replacements, even if it was not needed but as a precaution.

My 4.0L HO engine is basically stock with the exception of an H & N air filter, E3 plugs, 62mm BBK throttle body, and ACCEL 23# 3 hole injectors. I had the flow rate of the injectors verified at a shop. They are as good as the stock injectors. High flow catalytic converter and Magnaflow muffler.

Now before someone shouts out, my rig is running lean. It also heated up with all the stock components before I installed the new components.

AW4 Automatic transmission, Rebuilt NP-231 transfercase. Chry 8.25 rear axle with Detroit Locker with 4:10 gears, Dana 30 front axle with luchbox locker also with 4:10 gears. Both axles have also been rebuilt, including new bearings and seals. All running synthetic gear oil. Even the brakes, calipers, rotors, break lines, and fluid is all new. Transmission has some miles on her but seems tight. I thought of maybe band slippage under load but not convinced. :repair:

This is a hunting and fishing rig that sees a little trail use and double as a tow vehicle for my dirt bikes. Trailer, Bikes, and gear weight about 1400 lbs. Give or take. My rig heats up towing or not towing, so the weight is not the issue.

With the exception of the heater control valve and the heater core, the entire cooling system is brand new. Including a 3 core radiator, Heisco high volume/low cavitation water pump, new stock thermostat housing, new fail-safe thermostat, new radiator cap, new Dex-cool anti-freeze mixed at 50/50. New desert electric fan kit with 3 fans and electronic controller pulling about 3600 cfm. Which is enough to cool a small block V8. No A/C. So air flow from the condenser is not an issue. Everything wash flushed and reflushed before install the new components.

My hood even has vents louvers in it to let the heat out from under the hood.

My temp gauge will start running at 220 F or slightly over going over on the mountain passes. Even higher uphill on forest roads and about 240 if I have to go slow on certain trails. Meanwhile my electric fans are going balls out.

I have pressure tested my cooling system for leaks. It’s tight with no leaks. No signs of a blown head gasket, cracked head or cracked block, no excessive pressure in the system, and consumption of coolant.

I am puzzled of what could be causing this issue. Any one out there have any thoughts what is causing this?

My opinion from what I've seen on other rigs, that's just the nature of the beast with some rigs/set-ups. It seems pretty common for XJ's to get hot going up hills, and open cooled rigs seem to run a little hotter. My rig doesn't get any higher then 220 if everything is working right. But closed systems that are working properly will always run a little cooler/more efficiently then an open system. Hell, wheeling earlier this month with a leaky radiator and losing enough water to cause big air bubbles, I still wasn't running any hotter then 220.

I would bring a IR temperature gauge with me and pull off and check various places on the block if it were me. It's possible your gauge is slightly off. Do you have a winch or anything blocking the grill? That can definitely cause higher temps. Also, sometimes those electric fans aren't as much as an upgrade as advertised, especially if you removed your clutch fan/shroud - you are relying on those fans to pull hard and focus all of the air where it needs to go 24/7.

Mods should probably move this to the proper sub-forum too. edit, beat me to it.

Back