• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help welding stiffeners on in FTC

notamos

NAXJA Forum User
I need some welding help/instruction. I have the front frame stripped and ready to install stiffeners but have a minor prob - I don't know how to weld.

I have a brand new Miller 211, wire and a bottle of gas... Anyone want to help out? $, beer, food, whatever.

If everything is prepped and literally all you have to do is weld, you are more then welcome to come to the south side of Cheyenne tomorrow afternoon and we can get it knocked out.
David
303-941-6744

I have a 212 with a full tank of you want to use my welder or you could bring yours if you want or need help setting it up.

Hey David. Thx for the offer but it is on stands, no shocks, coils, and not really drivable at the moment because I have a few other projects going (on this jeep). I'm so darn intimidated by this! Lol.

If you were not so far awayI could weld then on for ya.

Just weld them. It's easy. Focus on the thick stuff and then quickly dab into the factory metal

Well, let's say that I practiced a good bit on various thicknesses of metals and then tackled it. I have the driver side tacked on, but that is it. I had a bear of a time lining it up, pulling it tight to the frame etc. I had to cut two welds lose and they were solid!

I'm nervous about doing the real welds. Want to get penetration without burning through.

setting for 14g should be plenty for welding the edge lip of 10g stiffeners to a 14g unirail even 3/16th lip to the rail with maybe upping it to a 11g setting to get a smooth arc..., but you can experiment with settings upping the voltage and wire sapeed from the 14 g setting depending on what your weld looks like , but the settings for 14 g should get you a weld that is going to hold the stiffeners on since the rail is only 14guage and you're only welding the very edge of the other metal so it takes little heat to get the job done ...You can fix a blow through and you can re weld a weld if it does crack later on . If you have stitch welds of 2-3 inches in lengh about every 8 inches you sould have sufficent weldment to hold these on ,and if you have holes drilled for plug welds these will never come off .

Back