• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help- Time to get Started

Siffty

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
My name is Sam, I have been on the site for several years and check things daily, but usually just lurk in the background and don't leave many comments.
However it is finally time to lift my jeep and I am hoping to gather some of your knowledge.
Here is the situation. I have a 2000 2.5L Jeep Cherokee 4dr, it has about 118k mikes, and it has a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle. Main uses will be 80% in town, 15% highway, 5% offroad.
Now for my 3 main concerns.

1) I am looking to put a 4.5" lift on the Jeep and am currently looking at these two by zone and rough country respectively.
http://store.4wheelingplus.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZONE-J8&PARTNER=froogle
and
http://www.justlevelingkits.com/198...2.html?zenid=35b035a9e8998edc832317188a3e003a

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations between these two or any better ideas? You can kind of get the feel for my price range.

2) I am also looking at an ARB air locker. However I am not sure if I have the 29 or 27 splines in my 8.25. I am thinking the 29 but I wanted to double check. Plus does anyone know where to get these any cheaper? Man they are pricey...

3) After I get this lift installed I am wanting to get a set of 5 31's. Due to budget restraints I am going to be looking for anyone's used set with at least 50% tread, preferable in central Illinois.

I definitely appreciate everyone taking the time to read this and look forward to seeing the responses. I am hoping to get the lift and tires put on before the end of December. Which brings me to another point, if anyone in central illinois has a lot of experience with installing lift kits I would very much appreciate your help when the time comes, I would be more than happy to pay some for your time, or bring some beer, or whatever works. If anyone has any connections to get lower prices I am all about that....
Thank you again for your time.

id just do a 3" if your running 31s, i ran 34s on a 3" with a little bit of trimming, and no rubbing

as far as the lift i know people using rough country on their DD and they still are able to go out on they weekends and beat the crap out of them, and drive to work the next day no problem,

as far as zone, have only seen people on the street with it around where i live

and i dont care for ARB personally, id do Lockright if you plan on running 31s,
i ran 3 years on one on 33s never broke, if you want full case go detroit, if it has to be selectible go OX

You have a 29 spline 8.25. You do not have ABS do you? If so it is a Dana 35.

As far as lift I've had both the the full leaf and add a leaf kits from Rough Country. Full leaf is the way to go. The shocks are a bit stiff but I'm in rough shape due to serious injuries. Get FULL LEAFS and if you are only going to a 31" tire go 3" of lift. I would never go add-a-leaf.

In all honesty I would buy used. Get a set of used front and rear springs and buy good new shocks. It will leave you with a bit more cash for tires. Add the sway bar disconnects if you can and watch for a adj track bar and lower control arms later as a bracket would suffice temporarily for the track bar.

Good Luck

ARB= big time cash but good product as far as I know

Start spraying bolts with PB Blaster or some other penetrate of your choice. It will save you a headache later.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I guess I could go to 33s I'm just worried it would add too much extra stress to my little 2.5l in the long run. I could go with a used kit, but I would just mentally feel better getting new parts. Plus I have not seen many used ones for sale lately.

Sounds like you are pretty dead set on the 4.5" lift no matter what anyone recommends, but I'll through my $.02 in anyways. You can fit a 31's with some 2 inch lift and some trimming as stated above, would save you a lot more money to put towards tires. If you don't want to trim as much go with a 3", that is all you need. I would not recommend 33's and stock gears with the 2.5, personally I think 31's and stock gears will blow.

Actually I have been looking around for 3 inch setups with the leaf packs. Unfortunately I can only find Rustys with add a leaf. Do you really think 31s would suck with my gearing? I figured the 8.25 would be able to handle pretty well, but then again I don't know much.

The axle would be fine. It's the fact that the motor would be straining on hills, passing and towing, running the 31's mainly because it's a 4 banger.
I was sick of the power loss on my rig with 32's and a 4.0l. I switched to 4.10 ratio just to get close to stock acceleration.

Actually I have been looking around for 3 inch setups with the leaf packs. Unfortunately I can only find Rustys with add a leaf. Do you really think 31s would suck with my gearing? I figured the 8.25 would be able to handle pretty well, but then again I don't know much.

On RC if you scroll down to right above "add to cart" you will see a price with full packs

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3.html

gears...

im running 3.55 with 33"s (but i have the 4.0)

so i want better gearing-yes

can i live with it-yes

Back