• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP Steering Noise on 2000 XJ

2000XJSPORT

NAXJA Forum User
My steering stabilizer went out today and I had to replace it. Everything went in fine and it works fine, but now there is a knocking noise when I turn the wheel from all the way left (Knock Knock) to all the way right (Knock Knock). Also does it when I make sharper turns. I greased all the point and made sure the bolts were torque to spec. Also when I lift up the front end so the tires are off the ground. The noise goes away. I'm not sure where it is coming from. Can anyone help?

Perhaps something was wrong with the Steering Stabilizer that you installed. You could pull it, and see if the knock knock noise continues without it.

check the track bar and the bracket to the unibody rail. also look at the steering box. do this while someone is inthe jeep turning it. what works for me is putting my hand onthings that i think are causing it and when you are on the right thing you can definately feel it.

The trac bar has been torqued to spec. Knocking noise still there. You can feel the vibration when you put your hand on the trac bar and the stabilizer. Sounds like its from the passenger side where the stabilizer mounts, but cant tell for sure. Spend 3 hours working on it and still can't figure it out. Main concern is that it is not breaking something. Spring break ended today and I have to be at school tomorrow. Looks like I'm talking the day off. Don't want to drive 3 hours and get stranded. I almost did today.

Back