• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help !! she died

No luck.
still no spark.
getting another cps next I think.

Have you checked for the 5 volts to the spark coil?

Have you checked the primary spark coil itself to make sure it is not bad, totally open on an ohm meter? Verified the spark coil ground on the primary side of the coil?

Where are you checking for spark? At a secondary wire or at the coil?

I would be checking the CPS wires to the ECU if it was me.

If all else fails you need to swap test the ECU in case the CPS wire damage shorted out the ECU guts.

Last edited:
Have you checked for the 5 volts to the spark coil?

Have you checked the primary spark coil itself to make sure it is not bad, totally open on an ohm meter? Verified the spark coil ground on the primary side of the coil?

Where are you checking for spark? At a secondary wire or at the coil?

I would be checking the CPS wires to the ECU if it was me.

If all else fails you need to swap test the ECU in case the CPS wire damage shorted out the ECU guts.

testing from the coil wire. not a 2nddary.

well.
I am going to get another cps. and see what happens.
I just do not trust that cps from O'rilley.

ill get back with more info

Could be. If it's not CPS, then maybe cam position in the distributor.
I'll see if I can find out how to test it.

Maybe the ecu shorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waiting on a new cps to arrive still.

wanted to throw something random out there.
my neutral safety switch intermittently plays up (no brake lights, have to push the shifter forwards sometimes for it to crank the starter over)

I have yet to clean it.
It it cranking not firing.
anyone know if the two systems are tied ?

No brake lights when you have to mess with the shifter to get it to crank?

The brake light switch can tie into at least 3 systems, often converter trouble and cruise control.

I can't think of a good reason for it to affect the nss, unless you've got some major electrical gremlins

No brake lights when you have to mess with the shifter to get it to crank?

The brake light switch can tie into at least 3 systems, often converter trouble and cruise control.

I can't think of a good reason for it to affect the nss, unless you've got some major electrical gremlins

thought as much.
cps should be here Wednesday.
ill get back with more info then.

Dirty NSS contacts will cause a no crank and no back up lights issue.

Dirty NSS contacts will cause a no crank and no back up lights issue.

He's got brake light issues too when it does this unless I misunderstood. I don't remember the NSS being that hard to refurbish, probably be a good repair to get out of the way.

Just sucks this has his daily driver out of action.
I'm half thinking the wiring harness has some damage some place if the brake lights and nss go out at the same time. I though there might have been some TPS wiring issues earlier.

Hope the new cps get it going

Or bad grounds.

FIXED IT !!!
New cps worked.

some other issues i have found.
I installed an inline fuel pressure gauge.
and I am fluctuating between 30 and 22 while running. which is a little low.
considering the fuel filter is 6months old. and have barely been driving (300miles in 6months) not worried about that.
pump is 2years old.
Kinda worried sock in tank is blocked.
I ordered a new fuel pressure regulator just for good measure. and hell. doesnt hurt to add to the parts box.

also.
Green mesa xj. remember that intermitent misshift issue I had... ?
Prior to this issue that had returned with vengeance and been really bad.
Now it seems it is fixed...
woohoo !!

Sweet! Glad it's on the road again!
I hate hunting down electrical demons, give me a mechanical problem any day.

The fuel pressure is low. What did it do when you unplugged the vacuum line from the regulator?
I think is supposed to climb to 40 psi for our years. If it doesn't then the regulator is bad.

If your tank is real bad then maybe the pick up sock and in line filter are clogged. But I'd start with the regulator like you're doing.

But hey it's running! Congratulations!

:clap:

Electrical gremlins are a PITA.

Even worse when you get bad replacement parts.

Sweet! Glad it's on the road again!
I hate hunting down electrical demons, give me a mechanical problem any day.

The fuel pressure is low. What did it do when you unplugged the vacuum line from the regulator?
I think is supposed to climb to 40 psi for our years. If it doesn't then the regulator is bad.

If your tank is real bad then maybe the pick up sock and in line filter are clogged. But I'd start with the regulator like you're doing.

But hey it's running! Congratulations!

my thinking exactly.
well I know the tank is not great.
After she sat with a half a tank of gas for 4 years I drained it with a pump. and got large chunks coming out.
It may just be time to replace the gas tank. its only like $100 shipped.

Its much less replacing it.
And much more the issue that I have the rear tank skid with the bolts that are surely impossible to remove.

Back