• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help on D35 axleshaft, also why not to allow your wife to drive your jeep

dizzymac said:
Does she do that with everything she drives or was that just an accident, not trying to be a smart a$$, just don't understand why she would that.....do you spend a lot of time playing with your Jeep, that would explain a lot...lol.

PS.....thank you for your service to our country.

LOL......ya i spend alot of time, it was an accident she couldnt see the letters and numbers labeling parls reverse drive etc. and so she made some dumb mistakes, she usually drives stick so auto was out of place to her. But needless to say she wont be beind the wheel of my jeep anytime soon, mainly cause shes too scared now.

and should i be worried about any pieces of metal left in the sxle tubes? ive been trying to get it all out with my pole manet but if some got left in there could it find its way to the diff?

and its my honor to serve this country, dont thank me, thank those guys over in iraq and afghanistan

well god must really hate me or something....

so i get everything all ready to go, bought the new axleshaft at pick a part, got as much of the metal shavings i could out of the axle housing (all the big chunks at least) and began to re-install the carrier, well when installing the right side differential adj shim with a rubber mallet as told to by some other site (NAXJA hasnt been workin all morning for my PC) the shim broke in half.

now i dont know what to do once again, im missing the super bowl and my XJ is out of commision, i just spent $75 on a new shaft, a new diff covers gasket and 2 things of lucas gear lube and im screwed.

should i attempt to put it back together next weekend after locating a new shim, do these have to be measured? should i take the broken shim to a drivetrain place and see if they have one like it?

or should i scrap the 2 shafts, detroit and 4.56s on ebay and the classifieds on here and use my profits to install a XJ 44, 8.8, or 9 inch rear with some new 4.88s to put my 35s on?

god im so frustrated, and all this because my wife wanted to bring my mom some onions acrossed town a simple 5 minute task and look what happened lol.

xXJx said:
well god must really hate me or something....

so i get everything all ready to go, bought the new axleshaft at pick a part, got as much of the metal shavings i could out of the axle housing (all the big chunks at least) and began to re-install the carrier, well when installing the right side differential adj shim with a rubber mallet as told to by some other site (NAXJA hasnt been workin all morning for my PC) the shim broke in half.

now i dont know what to do once again, im missing the super bowl and my XJ is out of commision, i just spent $75 on a new shaft, a new diff covers gasket and 2 things of lucas gear lube and im screwed.

should i attempt to put it back together next weekend after locating a new shim, do these have to be measured? should i take the broken shim to a drivetrain place and see if they have one like it?

or should i scrap the 2 shafts, detroit and 4.56s on ebay and the classifieds on here and use my profits to install a XJ 44, 8.8, or 9 inch rear with some new 4.88s to put my 35s on?

god im so frustrated, and all this because my wife wanted to bring my mom some onions acrossed town a simple 5 minute task and look what happened lol.

just read about your problem and had a question. do the junk yard axle shafts spline into the detroit? im only asking cause you stated that you purchused the jeep like that. just wondering if you could have the super 35 detroit w/30 spline axle shafts and not 27 spline. as for the shim how "broken" is it? shims are cheaper then replacing the entire axle and if the shim isn't totally trashed i'd try to reuse it in a pinch. the shim is only used to put a preload on the bearing. the bearing doesn't ride on the shim, only applies pressure to the bearing race. if this happened to me on the trail, id try to reuse it if i could. although i haven't seen the damage of your shim so you'd have to make that call and im sure someone will have something else to say. of course this would be a temp fix cause you stated that your needed your jeep done by tonight.

either way, take a break and try to enjoy the game, after all it's only a jeep:)

rocwrlr said:
just read about your problem and had a question. do the junk yard axle shafts spline into the detroit? im only asking cause you stated that you purchused the jeep like that. just wondering if you could have the super 35 detroit w/30 spline axle shafts and not 27 spline. as for the shim how "broken" is it? shims are cheaper then replacing the entire axle and if the shim isn't totally trashed i'd try to reuse it in a pinch. the shim is only used to put a preload on the bearing. the bearing doesn't ride on the shim, only applies pressure to the bearing race. if this happened to me on the trail, id try to reuse it if i could. although i haven't seen the damage of your shim so you'd have to make that call and im sure someone will have something else to say. of course this would be a temp fix cause you stated that your needed your jeep done by tonight.

either way, take a break and try to enjoy the game, after all it's only a jeep:)

well, the shim is broken in half..... and its 27 spline detroit, not a super 35. im almost about to say screw it and throw in a 8.8 or a 9 inch or something i was gonna do later. but ya its just one shim, ive never done diff work so im afraid of anything at this point... i need a stronger axle anyway, think i should scrap it all out?

personally i would go with a axle upgrade. the dana35's blow up sooner or later anyways.

i was just in the process of regearing my dana35 last week when everything with it went to hell. so i said screw it and build me a dana44.

scorpio_vette said:
personally i would go with a axle upgrade. the dana35's blow up sooner or later anyways.

i was just in the process of regearing my dana35 last week when everything with it went to hell. so i said screw it and build me a dana44.

ya thats my view exactly. im gonna pray i can find a dana 44 at one of the 3 pick a parts around my house, if not, screw it 8.8 it is. anyone want a detroit, set of spare shafts, heavy duty diff cover/skid, 4.56s from a D35?

Back