• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help Me Price My XJ...

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
Well fellas I have to take a hiatus from the Jeep world for a bit. My wife and I have plans to start a family soon. It was time to get a larger more modern vehicle. I bought a 2002 Z71 Tahoe love it so far but the XJ will sorely be missed. I plan to get another Jeep soon and trailer it behind the Tahoe. With the little wheeling I've done I've never been that confident because I had no way to get my XJ home should something break.

My XJ is a '87 4.0/AW4 with a DANA 44. It as a "law enforcement" edition so it came with a transcooler. I've owned it for 3 yeras and the first 2 years were spent rebuilding/restoring it. I replaced everything in the motor that showed wear. When was everything but the cam and pistons/rings (it uses no oil). I easily get 21mpg hwy.
The tires are ready for replacing, and the rear leaf/shackle bushings are starting to groan and creak. It also needs a headliner.

The body is in mint condition, no dents. It also has a JVC head unit, and polk speakers

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } List of replaced parts:

Suspension/Chassis:

Door weather stripping

Brake pads
YJ front brake hoses
Monroe Shocks
Master cylinder
Tinted Windows

Engine Related:

Goodyear Gator back belt
Murray Water pump
Alternator
Starter
Battery (2 weeks old)
Power steering pressure hose
Oil pump
Main bearings
Rod bearings
Complete head
Timing set
All gaskets and seals

Fuel/Sensor related:

Mustang orange top 19lb injectors
CPS sensor
Throttle Position sensor
Oxygen sensor
Idle Stepper Motor (IAC valve)

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg

IMG_3235.jpg

I'm thinking about asking $2,100? Is that a fair price?

i dunno about there, but for here in CO thats a very well priced XJ (pending knowing the milage)
its clean so price is higher than beaters, but price reflects its age and isnt too high

i think its priced just right

^ what he said... well, I wouldn't pay 2100 for any XJ these days. I'm a bottom feeder when it comes to vehicles, I like ones that have mechanical problems or need reassembly, but are straight and rust free... BUT around here you could probably pull 1500 for that no problem.

Your major problem is going to be that people who don't know Cherokees are going to be afraid of the fact that it's an 87, no one wants to pay much for a 23 year old vehicle. People who do know Cherokees are bottom feeders and looking for cheap ones with broken starters, radiators, alternators, wiring issues, and CPS failures.

Price it how you want it, if no one bites after a few weeks, lower it a bit. Continue until it sells.

Thanks for the tips. The body/trans has 273k on it. I also forgot to mention that I replaced some sections of the floor pan and herculined the floor, before putting down insulation and carpet..

I have summit oil pressure and temp guages. I have actually swapped to a differnet summit set since this pic. I would go outside and take one now but its dark out.
IMG_0914.jpg

I forgot to mention that the A/C works great.. which is essential here in TX..

I have summit oil pressure and temp guages. I have actually swapped to a differnet summit set since this pic. I would go outside and take one now but its dark out.
IMG_0914.jpg

I forgot to mention that the A/C works great.. which is essential here in TX..

That's not a police-spec XJ then however it may be a fleet, possibly government fleet Jeep. The police model has a 120(?) speedometer with Certified Calibrated printed on it. In the Renix era that is the only difference if I recall (aside from usual fleet features such as vinyl floors), the HO had an extended idle switch. As far as I know they never put the MJ column shift/foot parking brake into a police XJ but I wouldn't be surprised to see a conversion like that done on an ex-police XJ (makes more room for comms.)

It said "law enforcement edition" either on the car fax, or the title. It also had had a light bar on it when I got it, and a hook for hanging a radio receiver. It did have vinyl floors as well. The cluster may have been swapped out at some point, but the mileage matched up with the car fax. I think it was actually a forest service vehicle.

Last edited:
Thats a dang clean XJ for being that old.

For that rig around the midwest, you could probably get 3k, max 4k.

That would be sweet! Sadly I have around $2,200 in parts in this thing.. heh I know I won't get back what I have in it.. but I'm trying to not take too bad of a beating.

As Jeepm@n said, if you sold that in the rust belt you could fetch a higher price.

That XJ honestly has less rust than my 2000.

Back