• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me pick out some tires

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is a tech questions but I wanted some advice from people who are in my region. I'm putting 31's on mt XJ with a 3.5" RE Super Ride with OME's. I can't decide on BFG AT or Revo's. It's a DD with snow runs to Tahoe and Siskyou County. Very light actual off road use. Which tire do you think I should go with. Revo's are about $30 more expensive than BFG's. Is it worth the extra money?
Thanks

... get this... my friend had 35 12.5 bfg a/t's on a ford f150 with a 6 inch lift... my stock height cherokee with bfg m/t tires out performed his and he got stuck when i never did... keep that in mind.

btw, everyone i've talked to has hated the bfg a/t's... their the tire all the non off-roaders use.

and question... why lift an xj with a nice rubicon express lift and do very light offroading?

and question... why lift an xj with a nice rubicon express lift and do very light offroading?

I love the way a lifted XJ looks. My family owns some property up in Siskyou County. A lot of the roads up there are not plowed so a lift always helps.

idk i guess ur right... but im sitting stock and i churned thru some pretty deep snow... deep enough where i was pushing it around with my differentials =)

Here's how my XJ looks with a 3.5" RE lift and 31" BFG AT's.

2666735_75_full.jpg

I actually did a ton of wheeling, before my rig flopped.
and it wasn't the pretend noob wheeling either, ha ha.

oh yea, point being, I had the AT's, I loved 'em.
they did everything but mud, had great life and aired down really well.
get the AT's and don't look back.

oh yea, and MT's SUCK in snow.
the end

If you're looking for an A/t tire, look into the Hankook RF10's.
They are not to pricey and perform better than the duelers.
Here's a review on them:
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/gear/163_0710_hankook_dynapro_rf10_all_terrain_tires/index.html
And another:
http://www.motortrend.com/features/112_0807_hankook_dynapro_rf10/index.html

I run them in a size 33x12.50x16 (305/70/16) and they perform well, a lot better than the duelers I had on prior to the RF10's.

I know you're in Pacifica, but I can get you a set of what ever size you like for fairly cheap.

Hands down the REVO will outhandle the BFG AT in any situation.

I have snow experience with both, and the Revo's are absolutly amazing.

a downfall to each tire would be

BFG A/Ts : Weak sidewalls
Dueler revo's: expect about 10k miles less then the BFG 40k for the revo 50k for the BFG

If you're looking for an A/t tire, look into the Hankook RF10's.
They are not to pricey and perform better than the duelers.
Here's a review on them:

Are you comparing the RF10's to Duelers or Revos. I can see them out performing the Dueleres but the Revo's?

Are you comparing the RF10's to Duelers or Revos. I can see them out performing the Dueleres but the Revo's?

Bridgestone makes the Dueler A/T and an Dueler A/T Revo.
I am compairing the Hankook's to both.
I had the Revo's on my last lets of rims and am much more happier with the RF10's.

... get this... my friend had 35 12.5 bfg a/t's on a ford f150 with a 6 inch lift... my stock height cherokee with bfg m/t tires out performed his and he got stuck when i never did... keep that in mind.

btw, everyone i've talked to has hated the bfg a/t's... their the tire all the non off-roaders use.

Well i would have to say differently on those tires!!!! I run the 33-12.5-15s on my 97 dodge ram 1500 and i do a lot of my wheeling with my dodge until i am done with my jeep. I like those tires a lot... I havent had any issues with traction with them at all. The only time i got stuck was because i wasnt paying attention and high centered in my back yard lol (i live on 2 acres and built some hills out there). I have no complaints with them at all. they wear well, decent bite in the snow, sand, hills, and on rocks. All around good tire

I have a 3 1/2" RE and am happy with the BFG MT's. I figure before I were them out I will be ready for 32's or 33's. They are fine on the road and real fine off road.

The AT's were on my Chevy Z71 and road and wore very good.

MT's in the snow aired down are very good. The wider the better and a very soft throttle will take you places few can go.

I was ready to buy the Hankook RT03's. They rate very well.

31's on a 3 1/2" RE lift
Jeep115.jpg

Jeep121.jpg

I have the BFG Mud terrains and they are terrible in SNOW SNOW.
But they are GREAT off road. That is why they are MUD tires. NOT snow tires.

In the winters here in Cleveland I run a wintermark SNOW TIRE with SIPES for ICE and a SUPER SOFT rubber compound. They out perform the BFG muds by FAR in snow and cold weather situations. The BFG mud tire compound is MUCH harder, they turn almost into plastic in the extreme cold weather. However a SNOW tire is much softer, like a pencil eraser. These tend to wear out faster but are EXELLENT in cold climates. Plus the BFG's have NO sipes.

Don't get me wrong....I'm not KNOCKING the BFG's...I rung them all day long, in the summer/muddin. But come Winter time, I run my trusty narrow snow tires.

Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs!

I have run alot of different tires the BFG AT's, the BFG MT's even IROK's and a few others, but the MT/R's best tire for almost everything offroad around this area.

Back