• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me decide on my control arms

So I got my IRO upper and lower control arms on this weekend and pushed the front axle forward. I set them at 16 1/4" for the uppers and 17" for the lowers. Overall the product appears to be well made and very beefy. Installation was a breeze. The only issue I had was that I needed a longer drill bit to drill out the upper mounting holes and had to enlarge the frame rail hole slightly to fit the chuck into it.

Question: Now that I have moved the front drive shaft forward, I am starting to see the drive shaft spline. Andy at IRO didn't think I would need a new shaft when I originally talked to him, but when should I worry and think about a longer front drive shaft?

Thats way to long,did you purchase the drop brackets?You mentioned 4.5" springs,is that what you have?

So I got my IRO upper and lower control arms on this weekend and pushed the front axle forward. I set them at 16 1/4" for the uppers and 17" for the lowers. Overall the product appears to be well made and very beefy. Installation was a breeze. The only issue I had was that I needed a longer drill bit to drill out the upper mounting holes and had to enlarge the frame rail hole slightly to fit the chuck into it.

Question: Now that I have moved the front drive shaft forward, I am starting to see the drive shaft spline. Andy at IRO didn't think I would need a new shaft when I originally talked to him, but when should I worry and think about a longer front drive shaft?

You didn't get IRO (Iron Rock Offroad) arms did you. I thought they were IronMan Andy's.

Thats way to long,did you purchase the drop brackets?You mentioned 4.5" springs,is that what you have?

Are you referring to the lengths the arms are set at? Why do you believe that is too long? I told Andy at IRO my tire size and lift height and those are the length's he recommended.

Yes, I believe it is a 4.5", but I'm not 100% sure since I didn't put it on. The springs are straight at it's current axle location and the wheel appears to be centered in the wheel well.

If you didn't purchase the DB's,your arms are going to move the axle WAY forward when the suspension cycles,let alone the horrible ride.

Sorry, my bro just corrected me. I am throwing around the term "IRO", Iron Rock Offroad, but I actually have the Iron Man 4x4. Sorry about the confusion.

Regarding drop brackets - as previously asked, did you get drop brackets, or arms only? If it rides badly on the road, consider the drop brackets. If it feels fine, roll with it.

Driveshaft - it is not unusual to see splines, but whether you need to worry or not depends on how much slip it has available. The shaft slips a lot less than it seems like they would in axle articulation. I would say measure the DS as it sits, then disconnect one side and pull it as far out as you can and measure again. If you have at least an inch of available slip, I would not worry about it. You could get away with even less if you needed. When I was having a DS built, I measured it with the driver side stuffed, then again fully drooped, and there was only about 3/4" of difference in the driveshaft. This was with a 6.5" longarm up front that is not lacking in flex :jester:

Thanks Floydargue. That is a big help. I will measure the drive shaft slip available as you suggested.

The ride on the road is stiff, but I don't mind it. Personally the ride is like an exotic sports car. I know some would rather have the Cadillac ride.

Back