• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!! Keys stuck in ignition!

mine does the same thing. i just push in and hold the shit button on the shift mechanism, comes out

Now that is just cool!

Well, I tried tapping the key in with my hand, fist, pounding on it with my fist, and even tapping it with a hammer to see if I could get the tumbler to fall, no joy. After breakfast I will tear into the steering column to see what is keeping it from going to "lock".

Ok. I took the steering column apart and right there was the problem. The Ignition Lock Interlock unit was not clicked into the key assembly. It pulled out easily. With it all the way out, I was able to take the key to the lock position and pull it out. Once out, I plugged the Ignition Lock Interlock unit back into the key assembly. It went all the way in and snapped in place. Problem solved. Ask me how it cam unsnapped??? NO CLUE. Must be a Jeep Thing. lol

Thank you for all your help and ideas guys!!!

This place rocks!

I sure hope the kid I'm buying an XJ from comes through with the deal so I can get some killer help like this!

So, not to hijack a thread--well, maybe a little and his problem is solved already--share with us some details on this possible new-to-you XJ!

for future reference:
leave your key in the ignition and use a 2nd key to open and lock for the time being
remove the entire shift interlock cable w/solenoid and it should free up the key.
my solenoid was hot to the touch and that's how I knew it was bad. Your Jeep ignition will work without the cable.
ps
the only way the cable could have come out if someone had been in there before. It has a lock on the connector that has to be removed.

Last edited:
leave your key in the ignition and use a 2nd key to open and lock for the time being
remove the entire shift interlock cable w/solenoid and it should free up the key.
my solenoid was hot to the touch and that's how I knew it was bad. Your Jeep ignition will work without the cable.

He got it already. :D

So, not to hijack a thread--well, maybe a little and his problem is solved already--share with us some details on this possible new-to-you XJ!

I'm in the process of buying but not holding my breath on a white Country XJ from the original owner with 114K. The XJ was given to a 18yr old from his mother who is the original owner for his birthday and was told he had to drive it for a year before he could buy anything else. Well he posted it on CL three weeks before his birthday without telling his mother who still holds the title and she wasn't too happy about it and not willing to sign it over until his birthday. Yesterday was his birthday and he called this am to tell me she was going to sign off on it but I haven't gotten a call back.

I had a MJ years ago that was great but out grew it as I bought larger and larger boats, but I just got a dog so I sold my car :( to tote the new gal around. My plan is to put a 3" lift and 31's on it and make it into a nice looking DD that I can also do some light wheeling in. I'm really giving some thought to putting wood grain on it but I'm trying to think of ways to make the outline clean looking since there isn't stock moldings on it outlining the wood grain and I don't feel like spot welding the studs on it to use factory moldings.

I hope to be a true XJ owning member of the forum soon but it's up to this kid and his mom :rolleyes:

Back