• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! jeep is sputtering and out of ideas!

trippled

NAXJA Forum User
alright, i have a 92 cherokee 4.0L with 180,000 miles. as the engine warms up, it starts to idle horribly, and then it just runs horrible. it hesitates and sputters like no other. doesnt do it all the time, but the majority of it. no so much when cold but sometimes does it. i have new plugs, a good distributor cap and rotor, replaced the crankshaft position sensor, O2 sensor, fuel filter, coil and tps was replaced about a year ago. I have run out of ideas. i was thinking about the camshaft pos. sensor or a fuel related problem, but am unsure. i have been searching and searching but have still come up empty handed. any help would be great.

I would bet it's either your MAT sensor, MAP sensor, or Coolant Temp Sensor.

you didn't mention if the plug wires were in good shape too. Idle the jeep while it is totally dark and look for arching or tiny blue sparks jumping from wire to metal or wire to wire.

Have you cleaned the throttle body?

Rob Mayercik said:
Have you cleaned the throttle body?
with jeeps,i have learned,that seafoam should be ordered in bulk.pour some in a spray bottle.disconnect your air intake"hose"start engine and spray slowly into your throttle body.

Back