• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help!!! I can't figure it out. Need to get my XJ started! What could be wrong??

That was mentioned before and I am going to check it in the morning.
I'm worried that the fuel pump may be pumping gas at that time and then I go and get gas and the same thing (not starting) happens again. It always starts any other time.

I can not keep leaving my XJ at the gas station overnight and trying to find a ride to and fro and get a jump the next day every week.

Thanks for helping.

Im sorry.

Inthe morning try disconneting the battery completly and hook it back up. This will make the computer loose memory. It mite start it worked for me.

sorry couldnt be over more help.

I'll give it a try and I'll check for fuel at the valve on the rail in the morning.

Thank you.

Checked the Fuel Pressure at the Schraeder Valve on the Fuel Rail this morning and there was a healthy squirt of gas. Engine started up as usual... ran perfectly.

Went to the gas station.... Too afraid to shut it off and put gas into the tank.
After the last 2 times getting gas and it refusing to start after putting gas into it I decided to keep the engine running while filling the XJ.

I am so afraid to put fuel into the tank after turning the ignition off.
I guess I should find someone to follow me to the gas station, fill it up and if it doesn't start... check the schraeder valve then and see if it is getting fuel.

I'm at such a loss about what to do.

You know in some cases with rigs that do something like this, I have known there to be something in the fuel tank and when the gas goes in it, it gets moved around and finds its way in to the intake of the fuel pump causing a clog and making the rig not start. After setting for the night it falls back down and then the rig is able to fire up. Its a long shot but try dropping, draining, and cleaning the tank out or maybe even replace it. Like I said could be a long shot but I have heard of it happening before and sometimes the long shots win.
I would say it could be the pump trying to go out on it but then it should do it more often then just when you put gas in.

Just trying to help get some more ideas about what the problem could be. Your XJ should be fine even if you do all these things, but maybe we'll get clues. How low do you run the tank down to before you get gas? When you get gas, do you always fill it up all the way? Do you try to top it off with a little extra after the pump clicks off the first time? Are you sure that it starts good on hot restarts away from the gas pump? I can't imagine that you always drive places and let it get cold before your restart. A lot of these questions seem stupid, but sometimes brainstorming gets ideas of things to test.

How low do you run the tank down to before you get gas? Usually, I get gas at a 1/4 tank.

When you get gas, do you always fill it up all the way? No.
1st time at around a 1/4 tank I put only $5.00 into the tank.
2nd time at little less than 1/4 tank I put in around $30.00 into the tank filling it almost all the way.

Do you try to top it off with a little extra after the pump clicks off the first time?
Sometimes a little more but not that time I only put $5.00 into it.

Are you sure that it starts good on hot restarts away from the gas pump?
It starts right up every time. When I'm running errands the radiator temp is always above 210 degrees. I live in Tampa, Florida. It's hot almost every day.

I can't imagine that you always drive places and let it get cold before your restart.
I do not have time to wait for the XJ to cool down. I'm on the run almost every day.

Today, I put in a Fuel Pump Kill Switch. This way I can easily differentiate the hum of the pump and the traffic noise. The pump works every time I turn it on. It turns off every time I turn it off. No problems. After I turn it on and hear the pumps hum, I crank the engine and it starts right up. No problems. It always starts right up except when I turn the engine off and pump gas into the tank.

Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it.

I don't even think this is the problem, but I would drop the tank and check out the pump and filter? I don't know what it could be except dirt on the bottom gets stirred up and blocks the filter? Whatever? Something is wrong in there? It is all mystery question marks. What else could you do? Try to get a hose in to the bottom of the tank and draw off some gas????????? Bring home some cans of gas to fill it up at home and check the Schraeder valve when it won't start (borrow a gage)???????? Sorry for the crappy ideas. Please keep us informed.

Yeah the stator on the pump can get clogged. Just enough to loos enough pressure to not start the engine. When and if you get the pump out and make sure the tank is clean, You mite want to replace the stator ( filter lookin thing on the end of the pump). And look over the pump very well to check for damage or a bad wire.

Good luck, hope it works out.

i had the same problem when i first bought my xj. it ended up being a bad fuel line in the tank that runs from the pump to the fitting on the tank. There is also a filter that the gas has to run through before it gets to the pump. When ever the tank is filled it may push the gunk up into the fuel pump restricting the flow.
Dropping the tank is not the easiest thing to do in your drive way but it can be done. Check the fuel pressure after you fill it up again, if you dare do that again. it worked for me but that is not a guarantee for you. remember that the rubber fuel hoses are not made to last forever.

Back