• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help for AW4 sleigh on 1st gear

albiebear

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
I have a problem with my XJ Cherokee 4.0L 1998 with AW4.
The car have 190.000 Km.

When I put the gear (D) or (1-2) the car has not been pulling, but it's like slipping the clutch.
After one second or after I give a little gas the car starts suddenly.
It could be the poor quality of the oil, the problem has emerged after the oil change and filter done 3 months ago.
I also thought the torque converter, but hopefully more in the ECU or solenoid 1-2 gear.

any help is appreciated

thanks
Alberto
Italy

What kind of fluid are you using? Did you just drain and refill or do a full flush? If you just drained and filled, how much juice did you put back in?

Have you checked your fluid lately on a level surface with the engine warm and running in P or N? Color/condition?

The condition you describe is a symptom of the seals in the pump leaking. This is not uncommon with an older transmission. Mine has been doing it for 2 years. You can help the problem by adding one of the commonly available (in the US) transmission additives. If none are available locally, the way I do it is to put a cup of lacquer thinner in the fluid. This softens the rubber seals and helps the problem.

Thanks for your prompt answers...
With this Cherokee I did 60.000KM, Ibought it used 3 years ago.
It's my second Fluid change for the tranny.
First time I put in Dexron ATF and no problems for 30.000Km; last time I got the fluid and the filter from another store I they told that I need Dextron III and not ATF; then now I have the Dexron III fluid and new filter.
I haven't no leaks, check every time I got the car if I have some leaks, because I have had some problems with radiator and water pump, now solved.
I run the car always in P, the color and condition are perfect, RED Rubin no dirty inside.
I have another tranny, but I can believe that I finish the clutch disks!!!!!!
I used the car 2 or 3 days a week, and in this period I got the bike, I use the Chero in weekend for offroading.
Can you tell me which trasmission additives can I usa, or which oil is the best for this tranny?

Regards
Alberto

Back