• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help diagnosing a problem in Sacramento

rvmccarthy

NAXJA Forum User
Would anyone in the greater Sacramento area be available to lend a hand in diagnosing an engine problem?

I started a thread about what's going on here and, long story short, without a few tools and more knowledge, or a ton of money (and I don't have a ton of money haha) I'm stuck.

Since the repair of whatever might be wrong will most likely cost more than I have this minute, I probably won't be fixing anything right away. I'd just like to know what's wrong with my Jeep so I can start saving towards fixing it. I doubt it'll take very long to figure out.

I just put brand new tires on, new fluids all around, new struts and got a new tag for it so would like to be able to use the damned thing.

I am pretty sure I could bring the vehicle to anywhere in the Sac area. Whatever is most convenient for whomever might be able to help.

I'll obviously provide alcohol-based refreshment. :D

Thanks!

Sounds like leaking injectors to me. But you also gotta fix your leaking manifold problem - and JB weld aint gonna do it. Either weld it or get a new APN header.

Yeah I didn't even bother trying the JB Weld. Also if I go through the time to yank it off I'll just replace it rather than weld it. I don't want to have to do it all again in a year. That said, I can deal with the leaking manifold for now. It runs rich and fouls plugs etc. but I don't drive it a lot (<5k miles a year currently). I am up for registration renewal in July and along with that a smog, so I'll have to replace it by then anyway.

What I can't put off are the injectors, now that I know it could lead to blowing the engine.

Since I'm at best a hobby mechanic I am just hoping someone with more experience could verify that it is indeed the injectors so I don't screw something up.

Did you check the fuel pressure at the shrader valve?

They don't rent fuel pressure gages anymore, so you gotta find someone who has one or buy one. They cost $60 or more. New injectors are something like $130 from precisionautoinjectors.com. Find someone to test the pressure leakdown or just buy the injectors.

I was hoping someone with a fuel pressure gauge could help check the pressure. I balked at the cost of a new one - didn't they used to be like $15?

I've seen that site. Good price, that's where I was planning on buying from if that's what turned out to be the problem. At least replacing the injectors is easy peasy.

Did you check the fuel pressure at the shrader valve?

They don't rent fuel pressure gages anymore, so you gotta find someone who has one or buy one. They cost $60 or more. New injectors are something like $130 from precisionautoinjectors.com. Find someone to test the pressure leakdown or just buy the injectors.

Really I rented one about 9 months ago.

Autozone and Oreilly stopped renting them out over a year ago (at least in the San Jose area).

Back