• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help!!! broken thermostat housing bolt hole

jimmyc75

NAXJA Forum User
hello I hope someone can haelp me i have an 87 jeep cherokee that i just replaced the lifters and push rods of course had to pull head everything is done but i have broken themostat housing mount hole the lower hole has busted off. made a stud but not sure how to hold it in the hole can't weld cast iron to easily would jb weld or devcon work? thanks.

Just go pick up a new thermostat housing, they're nice and cheap.

If you really want to be cheap about it get one from a bone yard and clean it up (I suggest taking a Dremel to the inside to get rid of any calcium deposits).

So are you saying that you broke a chunk off the head? That's not good...

Or is it just stripped out? If it's stripped just grab a heli-coil kit from the hardware store and call it good.

Drill it out with a reverse bit, you might start and have it back out on it's own. Use the next size smaller than the bolt, makes it easier if you decide to retap the hole. don't even bother with an easy out. Could also hit the area with a torch to expand it a bit.

didn't bust bolt the head. ok the flange on the head itsel on the front a chunk of steel broke off the flange on the head. cant screw a bolt or stud in the hole part off the threads are completly broke off.

jimmyc75 said:
didn't bust bolt the head. ok the flange on the head itsel on the front a chunk of steel broke off the flange on the head. cant screw a bolt or stud in the hole part off the threads are completly broke off.
Get the piece welded or braized back on. Cast can be welded with the correct rod and slow cooling.

You broke a chunk off the head! That sounds hard to believe that its cracked there and nowhere else. Are you having problems related to a cracked head? If so, you may need to replace the head it its cracking in other places as well (are you having any problems similar to a blown head gasket)? Or, there was an impact that broke it. Anyway, yes its repairable but it may be cheaper and more reliable to replace the head with a salvage one than to go through with the repair of the head. Depends on what you want to do and what condition the head is already in. The junkyard I go to wants $30 for heads if cast iron, $40 for aluminum.

What broke it then besides too hot? Did you use a hammer? Anyway, the yard I mention is a u-pull it yard, try to locate one in youre area. This is Ecology in Oceanside it sometimes has jeeps and sometimes doesn't. All the cylinder heads are the same price, they don't know and don't care what vehicle it comes off. I think the prices are for 4 or fewer cylinders heads and that the counter lady diddn't realize when I bought a head (non Jeep) that it was a straight 6 but I doubt theyre more than a couple bucks extra for 6ers.

bajacalal said:
What broke it then besides too hot? Did you use a hammer? Anyway, the yard I mention is a u-pull it yard, try to locate one in youre area. This is Ecology in Oceanside it sometimes has jeeps and sometimes doesn't. All the cylinder heads are the same price, they don't know and don't care what vehicle it comes off. I think the prices are for 4 or fewer cylinders heads and that the counter lady diddn't realize when I bought a head (non Jeep) that it was a straight 6 but I doubt theyre more than a couple bucks extra for 6ers.

i didn't break it the guy that had it before me did i notice coolant seeping out of the housing. but didn't relize it was broken till i replace the lifters and pushrods. Of course i foud it broken after i had put the head on and tried to put the thermo housing on.

yeah jimmy. a pic would help. I live here in pittsburgh so if you need a hand let me know. I am actually going to a "you pull it" yard maybe today or sometime soon to get some leaf's off a s-10, maybe we can grab a head at the same time.

jimmy look in the phone book. if you go up north to butler area, and check on um... rt 68? there are like three junk yards on that road...
one of them has got to have a donar, if not PM me i know where there is a full jeep (88 or 89) with a bad tranny in chicora... might get it cheep if ya wanted it...

Back