• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! 8.25 Adjusters keep backing out!

Frank Z said:
I just looked at the spare axle in my garage. There's a paint mark on the carrier (non-ring gear side) and one on the cap that is mounted on the non-ring-gear side. Hope that helps.

Thanks! I will check!

Glen

I am running into this problem now with my 8.25. Second set of 4.56 gears on a factory t/l carrier. I tightened up the adjusters, was fine for 20 miles then started to whin like hell again. I am guessing the bearings need replacing at this point. Any other ideas. It feels like the adjuster keep going loose, though everything is torqued to spec. I think I got the right spec's? Going to try new bearings tonight and see where that gets me.

Anybody got any other ideas?

maybe just stating the obvious but what about some Lock-tite? Since I did my gears I have often thought that the adjusters were the weak spot on the 8.25 and wonder how they stay in even with the right amount of torque.
Was the wine the indicator to you that they had loosened?

Mitch

Yeah the whine, was the first indicator that something was wrong. I used locktite on both the adjustors and bearing cap bolts each time. But wouldn't the adjustor locks keep them from rotating?

I still don't know what caused this. It happened on the left side first. I tightened it back up and checked everything and it was fine. Later the right side did it. Tightened it up and made sure everything was set correctly and it has been fine ever since.

There has been a myriad of theories about this. I had a friend here that runs a service shop and custom 4x4 shop look at as well and he wasn't sure either. As far as we could tell the adjusters were not moving. One theory was that the bearings weren't seated correctly.

Sorry I don't have anything to offer.

Glen

Last edited:
Thanks DaJudge, I'll have to try it again. Sucks that you couldn't figure out what the cause was, but at least it is fine now. I am going to get new bearings just incase I really do need them.

Back