• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hello, nice place you got here!

ChillyWilly72

NAXJA Forum User
Just like the title says, nice place. Just bought a XJ and been reading and learning and of all the jeep forums that i have been to this place really impressed me. Some really great write ups here. thanks.

Any advice to a new xj owner would be much appreciated. I plan to do it all with this rig (hunt fish camp and some recreational offroading, nothing too insane) except be a daily driver. I just bought a 1991 jeep cherokee limited. Ordered the build sheet on sat but no response yet.

Some stuff i know is its got the np242 which i just leaned only gives me tom woods as an alt for a sye. Cant figure out the rear axle yet, think its a chyrs 8.25 but not sure. First order of biz is to put on a track bar, swap all the fluids and get the battery charged up good. After that its going to be an ongoing project as moneys light since econ helped me fubar the finances and got me selling cars for a living.

Thanks fer reading

Jerry

Welcome to NAXJA and XJs!

New to Me car procedures:

1. Go to www.autobooksbishko.com and order a factory service manual for your 91 XJ--they are available on CD and you WILL need it. Avoid Haynes or Chiltons, both attempt to cover too many years and 60 percent of the information is too generic to be of any use, 20 percent is wrong, and the rest isn't worth much.

2. Change the serpentine belt, all of the coolant/heater hoses, air filter, oil filter, and drain and replace all of the fluids--you don't know how long, or what fluids are in it. Before spending money on any fluids search or post up any questions you have--if you have a manual transmission it needs REAL GL-3 or a manual transmission fluid that is compatible with yellow-metal synchros, and GL-5 IS NOT.

3. Good time to do a tuneup--plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, service the CCV system (PCV without a valve).

3. As it is a 4WD vehicle, use your new FSM on CD and re-torque all of the suspension and steering. This is the perfect time to examine the condition off all of the components.

Welcome, I built my rig to do all that plus some more spirited wheeling! This place is a nuthouse but what's the fun in boring? :D

Once you really find the value of this place, spend the measly 35 bucks and become a member. The money this place has saved me over the years has always made the cost worth it.

Money is in short supply for me these days so I need to save, even if it means having to order online and wait for things to arrive. Where do you guys who are in a similar situation get your general maintenance stuff from (plugs,wires, fluids, sensors, etc.). I found harbor freight for tools. Also if the price between autozone/oreilys/bax store and online store is negligible then i'd like to know that as well.

What about brands, is there really a difference. I read somewhere go mopar; for everything? Sounds expensive, does this mean go to the dealership? I am new to this stuff so any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated.

If time isn't a problem, order from rockauto.com.

There are a number of parts I always get from the dealer--the crank position sensor is one of the biggies, the CTS and temperature gauge sender are a couple others.

After that it is NAPA, but I buy everything through our shop and the difference between shop and retail can be as high as 50 percent on some parts.

What once were "brand name parts" aren't quite what they used to be.

Back