• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Heep" drives out of the garage

thompson97 said:
what are you soing to fix your steering issues? looks like your angles may be your problem. is that a bulletproof or rusty's OTK system on there in those pics? looks very similar to mine. i'm asking because i just installed a combination of rusty's new OTK and orgs stuff. my angles look perfect, but my draglink is about five inches longer than my track bar...and i still have a little bit of bumpsteer. much better than before, but would like to eliminate it all together. i'm avoiding mounting the draglink to the tie rod as thats what i was running before, and it sucked. let me know if you figure out what works for that set up (if you aren't changing it all together).

We actually made all the linkages exept for the trackbar which came off my lifted WJ.The tie rod and draglink are 1 1/2" Tube with .25 wall so its very beefy.The links are rod ends from Poison Spyder Customs. The only thing we are gonna change is the track bar mount. We need to lower it to get the angles correct. We took the stock TB mount and lowered where the tb mounts but it wasnt enough. Its nothing a porta-ban,some 1/4", and a welder wont fix. We will do it this week and ill post how if it helps or not.

I would do (and have done in the past) something similar to what gil is suggesting.

weld a "nut plate" or similar thing to the underneath of the frame rail....

that will spread the load across, and share the forces to the other fasteners.

Hey, it looks like you ran some bolts through the frame rails where you attached your sliders.....did you sleeve it there at all? Or did you attach them to the pinch seam?

I really don't think that they will hold up if you didn't do either of those things.

picture.JPG

Heep said:
We actually made all the linkages exept for the trackbar which came off my lifted WJ.The tie rod and draglink are 1 1/2" Tube with .25 wall so its very beefy.The links are rod ends from Poison Spyder Customs. The only thing we are gonna change is the track bar mount. We need to lower it to get the angles correct. We took the stock TB mount and lowered where the tb mounts but it wasnt enough. Its nothing a porta-ban,some 1/4", and a welder wont fix. We will do it this week and ill post how if it helps or not.[/QUOTE

what does your axle mount look like? how much of a difference in length are you estimating between the tie rod and the tb? like i said, my angles look pretty damn good, but i have about a 5 inch length discrepancy and am still feeling some slack. i'm starting to wonder if my steering box is shot(not sure how to tell, anyone that does should feel fre to chime in or pm me). hopefully you wont have this problem, but maybe you could post some more pics of your newer solution to help those of us who do. a.k.a. me. anyone else with this style steering?

fatwreck said:
Hey, it looks like you ran some bolts through the frame rails where you attached your sliders.....did you sleeve it there at all? Or did you attach them to the pinch seam?

I really don't think that they will hold up if you didn't do either of those things.

picture.JPG

Were gonna weld it most of the way on the pich seem we just havent dug out the leathers to weld it up yet,like I said were not done.

Back