• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heavy steering while wheelin!

If anything, it removes restriction. Restriction causes heat buildup.

Drilling it out too much will flow like a son of a bitch but can cause your pump to cavitate as the input side won't be able to keep up. This is not good for the longevity of the pump.

With a PSC external reservoir and some pretty big ID hose, I was able to open mine up to about 3/16" with no problems (the stock opening is 1/8"). I tried 1/4" and it cavitated pretty bad.

Steering is one of those things where you don't realize how much better it can be until you spend some money on it. The homebrew stuff is good but will only get you so far.

A brand new stock pump, whether XJ, ZJ, or whatever, is close to the price of a good aftermarket performance pump. If you have an old pump, and you're trying to get better steering performance, a good performance pump is a pretty cheap upgrade. Just get a good pump and be done with it. If you have a few extra bucks, and really want it to work well just off idle, then spring for a 4.5" pulley which is smaller than the stock 5.5" pulley and gives better slow RPM performance.

It's always interesting that so many responses are for supposedly low budget improvements, when many times the real way to get solid improvement doesn't cost that much. A new PSC pump is less than $200, and a smaller pulley (which really makes a difference) is $49. For $250 shipped you can have guaranteed good performing steering.

So is it the stock pump thats the culprit or the stock steering box?

A brand new stock pump, whether XJ, ZJ, or whatever, is close to the price of a good aftermarket performance pump. If you have an old pump, and you're trying to get better steering performance, a good performance pump is a pretty cheap upgrade. Just get a good pump and be done with it. If you have a few extra bucks, and really want it to work well just off idle, then spring for a 4.5" pulley which is smaller than the stock 5.5" pulley and gives better slow RPM performance.

It's always interesting that so many responses are for supposedly low budget improvements, when many times the real way to get solid improvement doesn't cost that much. A new PSC pump is less than $200, and a smaller pulley (which really makes a difference) is $49. For $250 shipped you can have guaranteed good performing steering.

I've been thinking about smaller pulleys for a couple different projects just havn't looked into it yet. Where would I start looking for a pulley? My first thought was summit but if you know of a better place that would save me alot of searching.

By the way sorry for hijacking

no worries on the hijacking, we are all here to get help or be helped! so today i bled it all again to completely remove any residual ATF left, installed an extra AT cooler i had to my PS, not to confident it will help but tomorrow i will pic up a new HP PS line! plus im gonna search out the smaller pulley too& prob XXXX out the HP line too, am doin a camp/wheelin this weekend so ill be doin some testing. thanks again ALL
TJ

as long as it's smaller than the stock one, (Diameter) then it will spin faster and make the PS pump run faster IE more volume and pressure!

well according to Goatman its only 1' diff, so i dont see why ya"d have to replace the belt! should only have to eat up .5'of an inch of slack in your belt! what year/model are you??

It's one inch in Diameter not in circumfrance. The diff in length of the belt is substantial I Don't remember how much I'll look it up tommorow. As My sig says I'm an2001
I would think if you use the v belts you could make the adjustments. But as I said the belts are cheap!

So is it the stock pump thats the culprit or the stock steering box?

There is no culprit, each upgrade has it's own improvement. If you have a bad part, then it makes sense to upgrade that part since you're replacing it anyway. A performace pump increases pressure, which makes the steering better, and it increases flow improving response. A smaller pulley increases flow at lower rpm and so improves response. A performance box can allow better flow and replaces the bushing around the sector shaft with a bearing for more durability and reliability, and if you go with assist they made mods to the box so the assist works better. Going to the bigger box, offered by all performance steering vendors, or by getting a Durango or any number of other stock boxes, provides a bigger piston bore and so gives more power to the steering. A bigger bore box and a performance pump will give most folks all the steering they need. Just remember that the stock box is variable ratio and the bigger box is not, so steering feel on the highway can be slightly different.

Driving style makes a big difference also. You can rock the rig back and forth with the throttle and torque converter while you turn in a tight spot, you can throttle against the TC to slightly raise rpm while you turn if stopped, you can always move slightly when you turn, you can back up, plenty of techniques to help steering on the trail without strong arming it.

so im back to say i still have some steering probs but its slowly gettin better, but after the new lines, ps cooler and drillin out the HP fitting, i have managed to blow out the pump! replacing this weekend & goin to continue to use all mods done. maybe it was just an old pump the whole time!! TTUL with an update..

Back