• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heater, a/c installation questions

obaa-xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
I have a '90 XJ which originally came without a/c. I recently scrounged a system out of the salvage yard and installed it into mine. The whole process went smoothly, and the a/c seems to work (temp gauge was measuring 38degree when ambient was low 70's.), so I'm pretty happy, but I think I either forgot or screwed some things up.

1) In the archives, I keep reading that there is some sort of drain vent so that condensation from the evaporator is routed outside the passenger compartment. I swapped out the "box" that contained the evaporator, but left the original "box" with the heater core in place. I did not notice any drain line when I removed the "box" with the evaporator, and did not put one in either. Can someone point out where the drain line opening is located on the box, and how/where the drain line should be routed?

2) My heater no longer blows hot air. The blower fan works in all heat/cooling modes; you can feel/hear it. In "vent" position, I can control hot/cool air with the temp slider, so I know air is blowing through the heater core. In the "heat" position though, no air is coming out of the vents, regardless of how hard the blower is running.
I think I have one of the vacuum motors hooked up wrong, so that the proper flap isn't moving/opening in heat mode. When I installed the a/c, I had to splice together the vacuum harness from the a/c control panel to the original vacuum harness (the connections were different); they were color coded, but perhaps I still messed it up. I think the vacuum motors for the heater flaps are under the dash on the driver side (I didn't change them out). Does anyone know which one should be operating the heater flap, and what color vacuum line controls it (if it is the motor with 2 vac lines attached, which one needs the vacuum?)? I'd like to test the motor by putting a vacuum on the correct line and seeing if it moves, and then tracing back to the dash switch to see if I can feel a vacuum when the switch is in the correct position.

Thanks for any help.

For the drain, look on the pass side firewall below the evaporative canister. You should see a small elbow coming out. That's the drain.

Here's the vacuum schematic for the vents;

heatercontrolssl1.jpg

Back