• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed something the other nite that suprised me, had one of the TJ's out with the top off, 10pm and was on a pretty dark road [actually they are all dark up here, not many street lights cept at intersections *maybe*]. Noticed that the 7" rounds light up the trees almost directly overhead pretty good. Have to wonder if my hella E codes waste that much light illuminating overhead branches. Think I'll take the other TJ out that we just put Sylvania Silver stars in and see if that does the same thing, the silverstars are pretty nice for the price, not as nice as the E codes, much better than stock halogens, but they were in stock when we needed two new ones...

I'd suspect the E-codes don't "waste" that much light... but I can't really tell!
I think that was a long-time problem with olde-fashioned round lights, actually. And I *do* recall my dad's TJ being that way.

My XJ got a shiny new set of Hella's "DOT" H4 lights (name forgotten!) a month or so ago, to replace the factory Sylvania sealed-beams. Wow, what a difference... even with cheap 55/60w plain halogen bulbs. They light up the ROAD, and not everything else!

Den

DenLip said:
My XJ got a shiny new set of Hella's "DOT" H4 lights (name forgotten!) a month or so ago, to replace the factory Sylvania sealed-beams. Wow, what a difference... even with cheap 55/60w plain halogen bulbs. They light up the ROAD, and not everything else!

Den

Where did you get yours? How much were they? Thanks.

Ditto / What Den said.

I've got the Hella E codes also and am using some PIAA Platinum Super White H-4's in 55/60W and am quite happy.

:)

DenLip said:
I'd suspect the E-codes don't "waste" that much light... but I can't really tell!
I think that was a long-time problem with olde-fashioned round lights, actually. And I *do* recall my dad's TJ being that way.

Den

IIRC, Hella's DOT approved H4 envelopes are "VisionPlus." I used to have a set. They're an improvement over the stock lamps, but just about the same price as the Euro-spec E-Codes and not as good IMHO.

I replaced the VisionPlus with a pair of E-Codes (from Susquehanna Motorsports.) Much happier with them, the horizontal cutoff is a lot sharper, and they seem to send more usable light down the road. If you've got persnickety lighting inspectors, the E-Codes may not stand up to inspection as the lenses are not stamped DOT approved.

Everybody talks about that dot stuff, I have been running them since 73 when I lived in NJ, just swapped them out for inspection then one year I forgot and went thru with my 7" round CIBIE's, they never even noticed, just wheeled that funny looking headlight machine out that checks for alignment, checked high and low and that was that. In PA they just have to work and not be some weird color. I have been questioned once a while back by a PA trooper who was parked next to me at a bank one nite, he liked the light pattern they threw on the wall, got to demo how the lights and fogs worked together. I don't think it is an issue really......

Back