• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights on whenever ignition is...

SuperRoo

NAXJA Forum User
Whenever I start the jeep the headlights sides come on & the interior night lights also. This happens even while I'm sitting in the jeep listening to the radio, while the wife is shopping. I suspect a grounding issue, but where? Anyone experienced this before?
I have had a flat battery because of the radio!!! (which of course, I blamed the wife for)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
1988 Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4.0litre Auto.......left hand drive!

88 XJ?

Sounds like the dash mounted head light switch is bad, or melted (including the wires-connector thus shorting the wires at the switch.

They are poorly designed, weak, overloaded and prone to fail and prone to eat the wire-connectors at the switch too.

The other problem is it that is left hand drive ( LOL!!!!):wave:

depending on the year, check the head light timer module, turn the key off with the headlights on and they stay on for a couple minutes, have seem them go south and keep lights on.

Where is that do-dad located, and what does it look like? Can it be bypassed?

depends on the year, since we are guessing here, follow headlight wiring to a box, yes you can bypass. on XJ anyway, in the BCM on GC. some do not have it, turn you headlights on with the key on, turn the key off, if they stay on you have it, if not you don't or it has been removed.

85-89

GC?

Thanks for the response guys.

I do have headlight delay and it does seem to be working (I seem to use it most nights, so i know the lights do turn off)

Replaced the headlight switch about 6 years ago, with one i purchased from TeamCherokee, but I guess it may have gone south as well.
Will have to see if I get a chance this week to pull it out to have a look.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Back